auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Cuban Newspaper Articles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian Mahoney

Online Status: Online
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Brian Mahoney

My name is Brian Mahoney and I am a freshman at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, V.A. I am currently enrolled in a seminar on Hemingway and am writing a research paper on the Cuban response to the writer. Conventional wisdom holds that "Papa" was embraced by all Cubans as a great man, an honorary citizen, and a welcomed visitor to the island. However, considering the polemical issues of American-Cuba relations, such an idea seems too myopic and simple. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of Cuban literature which DID NOT embrace the writer's presence on the island, particularly newspaper articles and literary reviews. It does not matter if they are in Spanish. Thank you very much.

Brian Mahoney

Back to Top View Brian Mahoney's Profile Search for other posts by Brian Mahoney

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

A good reference book for you would be Norberto Fuentes book Hemingway In Cuba.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

Daughter

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Daughter

Brian,

When I was in Cuba in April the locals seemed to have affection for Hemingway but would then refer to the fact that "He drank too much". They always shook their head in sorrow when they said it.

Daughter

Back to Top View Daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Daughter

Brian Mahoney

Online Status: Online
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Brian Mahoney

Mike and "Daughter",

Thanks for your replies, I had the Fuentes book, it has been a great resource so far, still searching for more obscure items. In fact, a lot of modern cuban fiction has unveiled some interesting sentiment. Any suggestion in that realm would also be appreciated...

Back to Top View Brian Mahoney's Profile Search for other posts by Brian Mahoney

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 26 October 2005 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Brian: your question is an interesting and intriguing one. I'm not sure you can with certainty arrive at an answer, considering current politics in Cuba.

However, there is a Website in both English and Spanish put out by the Cuban government, from where you might find some a) newspaper articles and b) Ministerio de la Cultura or other similar sources or resources.

Elsewhere in Latin America, at least in literature, he remains a benchmark by which others are judged. I've heard the writer, Botero (not the artist father) of Colombia (?) is a huge Hemingway fan and his writing reveals some extremely inventive and flexible thinking (witness, in Ventas y Ventanas, his short story collection, the story about reading during rain that "boiled" on a tin roof).

Like PEN, I'd imagine there must be some Latin writers' group you could contact and maybe get some interviews/ideas from. Including, of course, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Mario Vargos Llosa.

Suerte. Good luck. I'll be curious what you come up with.

Allbest,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version