auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Book Talk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : Book Talk
Subject Topic: Jarhead. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 October 2005 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I never heard of this book before I saw the trailer for the movie.  The movie looks good with some fine actors in it.  I read some reviews about the book and it seemed like it might be a cool read.  I was blown away.  Swofford's voice is great.  He doesn't fluff up his language(but hes a marine-is he capable?) or make everything over dramatic.  He's straight forward with lines full of harsh words, dirty words and even dirtier words.  But it worked.  He had a unique voice and the book moves along at a great pace.  Hemingway is even mentioned.

I usually don't read war book unless their from WW2 or before but I'm happy I picked this one up.  It's a grunts view of Desert Storm and the events that shaped his patriotism and shattered it.  It shows us the boy becoming a man who faces death and leaves somewhat smarter but haunted by the way he now sees things.  The book moves back and forth between times and it does a good job -  never leaving the reader wondering what the heck just happened. 

Has anybody heard or read this book?  If not I suggest reading it.  You'll discover a new voice.  How many authors would talk about war and admit -

"I've pissed my pants, but only a bit, a small dark marker the shape of a thrid world country on my trousers.  My heart rate climbs.'

Papa Cosa 

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 October 2005 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

I read it when it was first published. It reminded me very much of Michael Herr's book Dispatches about the Viet Nam war. Should make a great movie.

Mike

Edited by Mike Galvin on 13 October 2005 at 2:11pm
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 14 October 2005 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Haven't read it yet. Will add it to my list.
Your description, however, brings to mind some other favorite books with great voices -

"The Ice Beneath You," about peace-keeping in Somalia, and returning; "A Rumor of War," by Philip Caputo, also a Marine, about Vietnam. Wondering whatever happened to Caputo after "Delcorso's Gallery," which I thought verged on mellow-drama but was a precursor of some other books. He moved to KW and was deep-sea fishing, last I heard.

My favorite (at least for me) Vietnam novel, "If I Die In A Combat Zone," by Tim O'Brien, also worth a read.

Ever wonder why it is so many writers go to war, wind up telling everyone about life and death and disillusionment, only to see wars keep happening and young people keep being told to fight them by old people who may or may not ever have been near them?

"Johnny Get Your Gun" another fine one. No wonder Trumbol was on the Hollywood blacklist.

Allbest,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 14 October 2005 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Forgot to add (of course) am currently reading book about war from civilian side in Afghanistan -
"The Kite Runner." A must read as far as I'm concerned, and not just because many of the experiences are ... familiar to me.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 05 November 2005 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Saw the movie today.  It was great.  If you liked the book I think you'll like it.  The film makers followed the book pretty closely. 

Papa Cosa

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version