auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Hemingway and the Windsors Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hijo
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03†November†2006 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Don: was your relative ever known to use the alias "Wennergreen"?

Close to Wrobes, no?

Best,
hijo

http://foia.fbi.gov/oakes_sir_harry/oakes_sir_harry_part03.p df

Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

donmadge

Posted: 04†November†2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote donmadge

Hijo's URL

I believe I reviewed these documents some time ago, but before the recent book whose author claims that Harold Christie and his Real Estate Cabal did the murder of Harry Oakes.  So it was worthwhile spending time overnight going back over them.

An important piece of FBI evidence came out in 1944 a year after the murder of Harry Oakes.  In their interview with Harold Christie the FBI left the comment that they thought Christie did it.  It is contained in the website material.

I believe this suspicion was true at the time, but in my research I have concluded that Christie was to be framed by the BSC, but the charges fell on de Marigny instead.  I believe that Hemingway didn't want it this way and Fleming didn't care.  However, things got a bit hot even after the acquittal of de Marigny when he started fingering the OSS and the BSC.  It would be okay for the Duke to be involved in real estate swindling, but not in re-smelting Nazi tooth gold.

Hoover got wind of the Windsor connection and conducted his own investigations when the Duke planned his visits to the US.  He actually had the Duke detained and questioned at a Marine Base when he visited.  I need to check the date in my working papers, but I think it was sometime in 1944 after the de Marigny acquittal.

My father in law's disappearance in 1950 sent him back to Cuba to launch an assassination attempt on de Marigny.  MI6 were becoming insistent and there was fear that he was going to blow the gig.  It was at this time Hemingway was beginning to have trouble with Batista and was taking heat from McCarthy. 

My father in law and Hemingway were warm to Castro and their activities in support of the Cuban rebels took them to the Isle of Pines, where about the time of the scheduled assassination they discovered the main orebody or a major extension of the Esmeralda mine.  Later on the place known as delita la CaŮada was named after this Canadian connection.  At the time of discovery Castro was in a prison on the Isle of Pines.

My wife's family enjoys special treatment when they visit Cuba.  When my wife and I visited the country shortly after our marriage in 1991 we were sent flowers and given anonymous gifts; one of these was a sketch of Hemingway.  People were so friendly especially when we visited the Finca.  I thought nothing of it at the time.  My research began in May 2000.

I believe, however, that my father in law was run out of the country because the mafia and Batista wanted his mining claims.  He had two American partners.  One was from California and the other from Florida.  Two place names - Santa Barbara and Jacksonville appear on the Isle of Pines now called the Isle of Youths.  My father-in-law and his partners were swindled by Harry Oakes during the days of discovery at Kirkland Lake Ontario.  My wife's Grandfather and Harry Oakes were friends during the Yukon Gold Rush of 1896.  Harry Oakes was a failure at that. 

The four holes drilled around the ear of Harry Oakes body symbolized the four "Tough Brothers" who were swindled by Harry Oakes before WWI.

I decided to put this on this website recently.  I caution you all that this is the shakiest part of my research and what I write here may wind up being pure fiction at the end of the day.  However, whatever Hijo has to say on this may turn out to be determining.  His knowledge of Cuba and Spain is exceptional.

One of the gifts given to me when I visited Cuba is a sketch of Hemingway with his signature E Hemingway, Finca Vigia.  I had it framed and it hangs two metres from my head as I write to you.  Show me how to put graphics up and Iíll start displaying some incredible evidence.

Hemingway pays tribute to George Worobes, whom he called George Ward with the character Eddie in Islands in the Stream (movie version).  No he didn't die in Cuba.  He died in exile under one of his aliases.

Best to you all

Don Madge

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 04†November†2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Don: I couldn't remember if I'd sent the FBI stuff to you, so when I had some free time I sent it again.

I took special interest in the latter information, especially considering some people claiming to have knowledge of the events surrounding the death of Sir Harry either disappeared, or waited as late as the 1980s to seek to testify.

Here's some more:

[URL=http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/celebrity/harry_oakes/5.html]

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Daughter

Posted: 05†November†2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Daughter

WOW. Fascinating reading. Thanks guys,

Gail

Back to Top View Daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Daughter

donmadge

Posted: 17†December†2006 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote donmadge

Harold Christie has been accused of the crime in a recent book.  He was sleeping in the next room to Harry Oakes when the murder ocurred on July 8, 1943.  It has always surprised me that he avoided suspicon for so long.  He was a real estate salesman with connections to Meyer Lansky.  It is now suggested that he and Harry Oakes somehow stood in the way of Lansky's gaming interests.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version