auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Release of Cuban Archives on Hemingway Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
donmadge

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 May 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote donmadge

The Cuban Government has released, to the US, a large amount of documentation on Hemingway's life in Cuba.  Among these papers are letters on his attitude toward the Revolution and his thoughts on World War II.

Will this information be subject to censure?  How can it be accessed?  Where does one go to view these copies?  Do they reveal the fact that Castro and Hemingway had a special relationship?  See the thread" Castro and Hemingway - Good Buddies?

donmadge

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 23 June 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Don: came across this doing some other family research. Thought it might interest you...

Allbest,
hijohttp://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/oakes_sir_harry.htm
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 24 June 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Don: FYI (after reading over last night), much detail on EH's activities in Spain/Cuba, and friends - especially apparently an interest (JEH) in Gustavo Duran and whether or not he was a Red.

Of note to some: mention EH was working on a book detailing his "crook factory" activities around 1949; some "air-tel" monitoring of progress on same, and ultimate explanation relating EH impressed by G-Men and wouldn't ever write about his intel-related experiences (this around 1949).

Duran apparently worked for Bradden, and retained after, keeping an eye "voices of the street" on Havana-related activity - including a 1954 rebellion ? that brought Batista to power.

Also found a few "air-tel" descriptions of finding EH in Mayo in early '61, apparently needing reassurance from JEH/FBI he wouldn't get in trouble registering under an assumed name (Saviers).

In sum: perhaps it wasn't just a figment of his "paranoia," EH's suggesting he being "followed" by FBI?

All this from FOIA releases on the site.

Best,
hijo

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 25 June 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

[ In sum: perhaps it wasn't just a figment of his "paranoia," EH's suggesting he being "followed" by FBI? ] 

I have always believed it must have hurt Hemingway  to have people closest to him not believe him.

Best

Paul

donmadge

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote donmadge

Hijo and Paul,

Thanks for your posts.  I have been away in Europe since early June so my apologies for not acknowledging your interesting commentary.  My research tells me that Hemingway had lots of FBI problems as did the OSS and the BSC by and large.  Hoover maintained his own network on everything and was the ultimate apparent paranoid.  Apparent, because people were actually out to get him; but then how do you deal with the most grandiose extortionist in history?

Of course Hemingway was tailed by the FBI.  They started to appear in large numbers in Cuba after the coup, that brought Batista into power.  This is the time when I believe the mafia also established themselves big time in Cuba.  Anybody connected with the Crook Factory were driven out.  The hero in my research returned to Canada having lost his mining assets on the Isle of Pines.  However, he was forced out two years earlier in 1952 because the infiltrators needed the mining assets to finance their future Havana operations.  He died in 1954 while in exile.

Returning to the initial post I meant to say censor not censure.  I hope I didn't offend anyone by the implication.  Outside the US most people mistrust US attitudes toward Cuban affairs.  It is not that we are pro-Castro, many people feel the present US government is obsessively anti-Castro.

I am interested in two document from the collection.  One is the letter reflecting Hemingway's attitude toward the war (WWII) and the other is the letter revealing his attitude toward the 1959 revolution.  It would be much appreciated if this info could be revealed to me.

If I could learn the alias used by my father in-law, assuming he was in Cuba in the early 50s,  I would be home free and could really tell you all a story.  I believe it was a Spanish name or a German name, most likely the latter.  If I had to make a guess from known aliases that he used I would choose the name Ward.

Does the name Ward bring up or ring any bells?  No pun intended!

donmadge

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 15 July 2006 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Don: will keep looking.

Note: "La Isla de los Pinos," the Isle of Pines, called "Isla del Joventud," or Isle of Youth, since 1978.

One internet source also suggests it was the model for "Treasure Island," as well as for Peter Pan's encounter with Captain Hook (a well-pirated island, that was also home to one Fidel Castro in prison...)

Best,
hijo

donmadge

Posted: 16 July 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote donmadge

Hijo,

This is interesting.  Apparently Castro was kooped up there from early 1953.  I have the Georgia Cracker in Flin Flon, Manitoba about that time, arriving in late 1952.  He spent less than 18 months in Cuba.  I estimate that Castro was imprisoned along with other members of the Crook Factory who were jailed at that time.  Hemingway was left alone at the Finca, because there was no way the Batista gang could touch him.  My man being allied with the CF was run out of the country.  Non Canadian/US people went to jail. 

Was there an affiliation between the CF and Castro's people?  Is this why CF people are so revered?  Members of our family have been very well treated in Cuba.  I believe they too are heroic for having been such loyal tourists and perhaps investors in tourism.  I don't know any of this for certain. And they don't either.  They would not be told the reason why they were so welcome.  Are these folks part of the reason for Canada's good rapport with Cuba?   It is pure speculation.  I know that the Georgia Cracker came to Manitoba in late 1952 and died there in May 1954.  I have a death certificate and it has been validated by people who could identify him at the time.

I never realized that Fidel was imprisoned at Isle of Pines in 1953.  The place names like Sierra de Canada, Santa Barbara and Jacksonville have been traced to three prospectors - two American and one Canadian.  They reputedly found Esmerelda Mine in 1952 or an orebody extension.  Can I get some help checking these events?  When did these place names arise?  The prospectors lost their assets to Batista's mafia.

This stuff is probably a good basis for fiction.  It has to be a great story - a heroic one.  I may have the writing skills to do a novel with fictitous characters.  However, I am going to continue looking for more historical facts.

Hijo, I wish I could put your head in mine for a day.  You see what each new fact triggers.  What amazes me is that no one seems to be able to kill this theory.  Scientific proof is accomplished by hypothesis rejection.  You have to advance a theory and then try to shoot it down.  Let's try to find a flaw in this thing and see what turns up.  This hypothesis process has upset my family in the past and for that I truly apologize.  It is like Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.  It will be all fiction at the end of the day as far as the characters are concerned.  However, the story may alter our interpretation of history.  The Georgia Cracker really existed we know that.  He belongs to history.  Canadians deserve to know what he did.  Moreover, the story can now be told.  The persons that knew the Georgia Cracker and his true identity are all dead.  The only one, still alive, has Alzheimer's disease.

Do you know that one of the people that was welcomed to Cuba held a US Presidential Citation?  He was a Canadian whose Regiment fought a rear guard action in Korea at a place called Kap Yong.  Many US lives were saved. This man was my brother in law and I am proud to have known him.  I even held his Presidential citation in my hand.  At his death his widow received tributes from the US Government, the South Korean Government and his Regiment the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.  That regiment has been serving in Afghanistan since the start of that war.  The man's name was George Tessier.

I plan to have my novel ready for publication when normal relations resume between the US and Cuba and Guantanamo Bay is demolished.  That will be in February 2008.

RustyCan

I

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 17 July 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Rusty Can:

How 'bout tracking down a Bradden or Duran relative? The CF having been active in the '40s, and possibly into the '50s, and Duran supposedly there to keep an eye on Falangists/Fascists from Spain, and Castro's family being Gallego (from Galicia), and many Republican (Spanish Civil War) veterans being in Cuba also at the time, like Duran, I'm beginning to see connections.

One thing that's always fascinated me is the wearing of berets - "Boinas" - by various "revolutionaries" of the '50s and '60s, since they were naturally adopted by the International Brigades (and most of the Republican units) at the time of the Civil War.

There aren't - weren't - that many places where they were worn originally in Spain. In the Basque Country, of course; in Galicia (perhaps they started as Tam O'Shanters, some suspect) and a few others.

Where was Che Guavera's family from? What I'm starting to wonder is if the children of the Spanish Republic, some with trained parents, (who also comprised much of the Fifis, by the way) helped create/fund/train Castro's revolutionaries to topple Fulangelico Batista's fascist regime.

Did you know EH got in trouble for supposedly being involved in something similar (financially, at least) on Santo Domingo EARLIER ?

It's the hunt that's always excited me, like my parents, far more than finding the answers.

Best,
hijo

donmadge

Posted: 22 July 2006 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote donmadge

I recall you mentioning Duran.  Was he  a CF person?  Did he spend time at the Finca?  Does he have any papers?

I think there is a connection between the character Eddie in Islands of the Stream.  In the movie he is portrayed as an Aussie and he dies in the story.  The GC was dead in 1954 and the Canadian authorities might just have informed Hemingway of his death.

I am inclined to think that Eddies' heroic death was Hemingway's way of paying tribute to a man who's story could never be told.  I arranged for my wife to watch the George C Scott movie with me and I had hoped for a stronger reaction.  The pathetic alcoholism and the label Rummy did impress her.  The expertise with ordinance impressed me and the love of Hemingway's children also impressed me.  However, my wife cannot see Hemingway metaphor or imagination.  She is totally sidetracked by the man being an Aussie, which was not the case in the book and so on.

The problem I have is that the next generation seems to be so poor in its recall.  Everytime I talk to a son or daughter I have to really start to plant ideas in heads and words in mouth.

The exception was the man who identified GC by his alias.  That man was then 15 years old and as he said he held his hand when he died and noted that the informant on the death certificate with great suspicion.  I had written a newspaper article "Did you know Charlie Foss? for the Flin Flon Reminder.  I now have the man identified to nearly as close as a DNA match.  When asked by my wife if I would order an exhumation to do DNA testing I said," And whose DNA am I going to use"?. He only sired daughters and I have yet to meet a living blood relative that I can use unless my theories are ironclad.  That remark nearly landed me in divorce court and I am lucky I didn't get sued by one of the three sisters in "Act I Scene I of MacBeth.

My lawyers tell me I have to be careful what I say on this thread.  Stick to where you have defensible proof and begin to think about fiction.

You know if I can't place GC in Cuba in 1943 and again in 1951-52 then it is just a story apart from that of a minor covert in other ways.  Through fiction I can tell a wonderful story and it will be heroic.  Unless you are the Duke and Duchess of Windsor or J Edgar Hoover that is.

So the Trail is turning cold and the only hope I have is in the Cuban papers.  Owing to family and work issues I cannot get to the papers to spend a week of research.  However some "Lost Generation" type could carry my question along with his/her own research.  If I could help with expenses I would be most willing.

Hijo,  You are inspiring.  Maybe  shaping up as a "character".  Excuse the play on words!

Warmest regards

RustyCan

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 22 July 2006 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

Hijo,

See what I told you about essays and letters???Smile

Albest,

docnme

Page of 2 Next >>