auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Book Talk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : Book Talk
Subject Topic: Another New Book Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Peter Krynicki

Online Status: Online
Posted: 07 December 2005 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Dear Papa, Dear Hotch: The Correspondence of Ernest Hemingway and A. E. Hotchner
Ernest Hemingway, Albert J. Defazio (Editor)

This one is getting a lot of good press from the Hemingway literati.

Pjk 

Edited by HemingwayCenter on 16 June 2006 at 4:33pm
Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 December 2005 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote bookman

Peter,

I ordered it and will put in on my "to read" stack. I've always been interested in their relationship. Back when I only read Hemingway's literature, I decided to learn more about the man himself. The first biography I read was Hotchner's memoir "Papa Hemingway". Good read and got me hooked (the rest is history, as they say).

Early on, I had a somewhat negative impression of Hotchner, even though I loved his book. I saw him as kind of a "hanger on" with EH, and wasn't really sure if he was as big a part of things as the book implied. And of course, Mary Hemingway later dismissed him as pretty much insignificant (ticked about him calling the suicide what it was, apparently).

From what I've read since, I've formed a positive image of "Hotch", and think maybe he gets a bad rap from some. He is a talanted writer in his own right, and did help EH with editing and wrote scripts for his works (Nick Adams Stories for TV, I think). And the biographies confirm that he really "was there" in some important times with Hemingway. So there must have been a sincere friendship, EH wasn't one to suffer fools.

One of the Amazon reviews rips Hotchner, so I will be interested to read the correspondence to see why. The opinion I have formed of him, is one of a sincere likable guy. I know he is a  friend and neighbor of Paul Newman's (who I have always admired as an actor, without all the Hollywood baggage). They created the line of"Newman's Own" products, which has donated millions to good causes. I think Hotchner is real, and I'm hoping this book won't change my mind.  Anyway, it may cause some spirited discussion on this board (which is always a good thing).

Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

Pjk

Online Status: Online
Posted: 13 December 2005 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Pjk

I met Hotchner once and talked to him about his relationship to Hemingway. He sais he must have been one of the few people that Hemingway did not give up on, probably because Hotchner was not a writer.

I'llprobably get this sometime but I am up to my ears in books and I keep recording movies which I never watch.

Pjk 

Back to Top View Pjk's Profile Search for other posts by Pjk

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 14 December 2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote bookman

What were your impressions of the man? From what I've read over the years, he seems like a nice guy, and a true and sincere friend to Ernest.
People are always looking for ulterior motives in Hotchner's friendship with EH, but I think they just connected for some reason and remained lifelong friends. I recall that he also did some serious editorial work for EH, paring something down to a more publishable form (Dangerous Summer?).

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote bookman

"Dear Papa, Dear Hotch"
I'm about halfway through this now. It's a good read, but I can never go cover to cover on books of correspondence. I tend to pick it up in between other things I'm reading.
It does make clear that this was a sincere, mutual friendship, and also shows just how involved Hotchner was in Hemingway's life and work.
No doubt Hotchner was in awe of the man, and may come across as fawning toward him early on. But this is understandable,as he (Hotchner) was a young journalist at the time they met, and Hemingway was, well, HEMINGWAY, a literary giant.

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I just started this one which is very good and contains some about Hemingway...

News of Paris : American Journalists in the City of Light Between the Wars (Hardcover)
by Ronald Weber

and want to get this next...

Hemingway's Laboratory : The Paris in our time (Hardcover)
by Milton Cohen

Pjk

Edited by HemingwayCenter on 16 June 2006 at 4:32pm
Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 20 July 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

And this one...

Hemingway on the China Front: His Wwii Spy Mission With Martha Gellhorn (Hardcover)
by Peter Moreira

The author was at the conference and gave an interesting talk based on his book.

Pjk 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version