auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Sun Also Rises (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Sun Also Rises
Subject Topic: The Fab Four Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SagarB

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18áNovemberá2005 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote SagarB

Brian L. wrote:
        The term the lost generation can definitely be applied to John Dos Passos, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Ernest Hemingway; they all rejected the traditional societal ways, and lived life on the edge. They washed their sorrows in alcohol, and expressed their feelings in their writing.

if all they did was express their feelings thru their writing after being drunk... doesnt that make their works simply ramblings of a couple of alcoholics, i dont wanna be disrespectful to these writers, so sorry to any fans and to Mrs. Weisgerber, but I'm confused as to why these works can be considered "masterpieces" if they are just illustrations of problems in their society? What is it in these books that makes them worth reading?

Back to Top View SagarB's Profile Search for other posts by SagarB

maudeg

Posted: 18áNovemberá2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote maudeg

SagarB wrote:

Brian L. wrote:
        The term the lost generation can definitely be applied to John Dos Passos, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Ernest Hemingway; they all rejected the traditional societal ways, and lived life on the edge. They washed their sorrows in alcohol, and expressed their feelings in their writing.

if all they did was express their feelings thru their writing after being drunk... doesnt that make their works simply ramblings of a couple of alcoholics, i dont wanna be disrespectful to these writers, so sorry to any fans and to Mrs. Weisgerber, but I'm confused as to why these works can be considered "masterpieces" if they are just illustrations of problems in their society? What is it in these books that makes them worth reading?

in vino veritas, buddy.

Back to Top View maudeg's Profile Search for other posts by maudeg

SagarB

Posted: 21áNovemberá2005 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote SagarB

wats "in vino veritas" mean????

Back to Top View SagarB's Profile Search for other posts by SagarB

Christina C

Posted: 21áNovemberá2005 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Christina C

In vinos veritas... Truth in drink (wine).
It's like that whole thing where someone(Billy, maybe?) got drunk and started insulting Cohn like crazy. Drinks make the tongue a bit looser, and with that goes the inhibitions and the tact that prevents you from saying stuff to be polite. White lies, nonexistant, and the truth bites back with a vengence.
...I think that's what it means, haha...

I'm not much of a fan, but the most realistic views always seem to come from people that are with the loosest tongues. I guess lack of inhibition does that to you... and so, it makes the book an accurate portrayal of what people were like during the time.
And besides, if everyone really was drunk... who better to tell the story then a drunkard?

Zhi dong zai ni huai li huai
Back to Top View Christina C's Profile Search for other posts by Christina C

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version