auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: This web (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HEMINGWAY

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31†October†2005 at 10:33pm | IP Logged  

Itís nothing more than a stage of short comings. Each and every one of you has the same sad story. Iím an editor, but I canít write. Iím Clarenceís great niece, so you better fear me. Iím a Boston cop, so you better do what I say. Iíve read 4 books, so I know what Iím talking about.

Hojo, tell me some stories that you reported on when you where a journalist

Mike, tell me some stories about you when you where a Medford cop.

Ramona, tell me how great it is to have the nicest mother in the world and greatest dad to call your own.

That's what I want to hear.

Joe

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 01†November†2005 at 12:31pm | IP Logged  

Well Joe, I don't think we have the same sad stories. My story isn't sad. I'm quite happy. I've been a photojournalist for over 25 years and I'm still one. And I can still take photos.
The police department is ancient history and it was Malden. I'm not that person anymore and haven't been for over 25 years.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Oh yeah, I've read more than four books. But we're here to discuss Hemingway, not me. No one gives a sh*t what I've done, if they did I'd start a Michael Galvin Resource Center website.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 05†November†2005 at 9:21pm | IP Logged  

Well said, Mike.

As for me, Joe, guess you'll just have to wait until someone else writes my autobiography - or my obit.

I'll give you this: the fact I'm alive brings me great joy every morning, and especially every birthday. I know for a fact too much reality can kill you early, in one way or another. And it ain't that hard to find, if you know where to look.

Me thinks perhaps you're the one with sad stories to tell, and that's fine, as long as they relate to the subject.

Relating this to Hemingway, as per generally accepted conditions of postings, someone who used to live in Ketchum once kindly referred to me as "a kindred spirit" - as was he.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07†November†2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged  

So Joe, it must be my turn, if I choose to take one.  I would not trade one minute of my life. Like all people, some good, some sad. I am a contented person, satisfied with my lot in life.  I have three grown married children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and many other relatives, including brothers and sisters. I live in a small town, in the woods, with three lakes. I never look out my window without awe, and the wonder of nature that I am surrounded by, without feeling very blessed. Then I get on with my day like everyone else and do a lot of research as I am on the Hemingway Book Committee always looking for new and interesting material. I also  work on the other side of my family genealogy.  I help in the new little museum that our town is just beginning, and I love that because I have a pretty good stock pile of local history and I want to share mine, plus learn lots from all of the people that come in and share their memories, old  and new pictures etc.  I toss a college class in here and there and enjoy friends that like to do the same and talk about books, especially history.   I like this web site, to learn more about E.H. of course, and so much about what others think and know, it is a good learning site.

Best to All, Ramona

HEMINGWAY

Posted: 12†November†2005 at 7:04pm | IP Logged  

Ramona, you are right. It's a wonderful website.

Mike I like you. I was at the Elk's the other night and ran into a bunch of retired cop's in town that I know. We all had some good laughs. And they would agree with you. I'm sure.

Hojo, why can't you let us know what your name is? And you are right, I may be someone with more then his share of sad stories, I guess, it's just the way the ball bounces. And prehaps this website is based on the life of a dead writer. But if that dead man could talk he'd tell you
"THAT GUN WENT OFF ON IT'S OWN! Someday, I'm may even tell you the story. But you'll have to tell me your name first.

Smokin Joe

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 12†November†2005 at 9:46pm | IP Logged  

Joe:

It's hijo, not hojo. And you crack me up, sometimes.

While it has no bearing on this Web site, or something other than your personal satisfaction or curiosity, I'll gladly tell you my name. In fact, as I recall I've done that at least once in the past on the old Web site.

As for writing/editing, I've been a journalist 25 years this past August, and my last gasp as a reporter/writer was last year. Editors tend to be one of two things: writers who want to not be bothered at home when their shift is over, who put in their time with 3 a.m. phone calls and crime scenes, and journalists who'd love to be reporters but prefer sleeping at night.

I'm the former rather than the latter, though I'll admit whereas I used to think sleep a waste of precious time, I now relish it.

If the gun went off on its own, years of treating weapons as if they were loaded until verifying they're not with minimal noise and loss of life would have been thrown completely out the backside of EH's brains.

My name, for the record, is Terin Miller, as in "Tip of The Horn" and "On Bullfighting," Mr. Patrick.

Best,
hijo

HEMINGWAY

Posted: 13†November†2005 at 5:18pm | IP Logged  

Terin Miller, you're the best. I don't care what everyone esle says about you.

a little joke.

For the life of me, I just can't figure out why, and especially here, no one thinks old Ernie didn't intend to end his life in the summer of 61. If he was going to end it, it would of been in Decemeber of 60.

Everyone knows something about nothing.

You live the best you can, and know matter what, you die!

Joe

One last thing well I'm at it, again!

It would be something, for someone who put a name on the map, for good, or bad, enriched each and everyone who carried that name, for anyone of them to have stepped forward and defended old Ernie would of been something,
but for Mary.

Sleep tight my litte chickens

Smokin Joe

HEMINGWAY

Posted: 14†November†2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged  

T, I'm back to say one last thing about your statement and I don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks.

If the gun went off on its own, years of treating weapons as if they were loaded until verifying they're not with minimal noise and loss of life would have been thrown completely out the backside of EH's brains.

THE GUN WAS JAMMED!!!

rob on the job

Online Status: Online
Posted: 15†November†2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged  

I am now a municipal official after 27 years as a journalist and editor with daily newspapers in upstate New York.

My hobby is writing short-story fiction.

No sob story here.

Back to Top View rob on the job's Profile Search for other posts by rob on the job

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 16†November†2005 at 10:08am | IP Logged  

J: congratualtions on returning to the subject of the web.

I'm curious how familiar you are with weapons and their use?

I'm willing to admit, in fact I half-seriously suggested just because I was trained to come up with the least plausible explanation, that perhaps EH did not intend to shoot himself - perhaps, sinister as it sounds but happen as it has had occasion to - he was convinced it was the only course left, considering the Bahia de Cochinos invasion failed in April of the same year, and a former acquaintance or at least fellow cavalier from the OSS was coming up with all the wonderful ideas called "Operation Mongoose" to usurp Castro. (See 'National Archives' for details)

Not to mention J. Edgar (Marianne) Hoover was wanting Hemingway declared a drunk, a Communist, and a traitor for a) supporting the Spanish Republic against Franco with all sorts of Communists and "fellow-travelers," b) hunting U-Boats and forming a clandestine HUMINT group like it was a game, c) living in Cuba during the revolution against our (the government's) friend Fulangelico Batista, and d) for railing against the hero of that era's "vast right-wing conspiracy," Sen. Joseph McCarthy. I'd call this the "Crook Factory" premise, since that's essentially my reading of that book.

Mary Hemingway even met with Castro after EH's shuttling off the mortal coil, at Finca Vigia, and when she returned and chatted with current media hero Edward R. Murrow, running the complicit-in-covert-operations USIA at the time, some folks in the then-intelligence community got an idea they might be able to bump Fidel off in the writing tower discretely.

So who knows? Qui Bono (who benefits?). That's the first question any investigator, especially an investigative reporter, (which when I was reporting was just a good reporter) should ask.

But in case you're unaware, and others are as well, you really shouldn't look down the barrel of a gun for any reason from "the business end" unless it's pointed at you by someone else. Even then, what lies at the other end is merely a distraction, something intended to keep you from reacting.

If your gun jams, and you have reason to believe it's loaded - and you should always believe a weapon is loaded, even if it's yours, if you're uncertain - the worst possible thing you can do is try and un-jam it from the business end. Because if it is jammed, and you succeed, you wind up like EH.

Best,
hijo (or Terin, or T, or whatever anyone prefers)

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version