auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Writing Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Writing Room
Subject Topic: Stuck in a corner when writing... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TLSanders

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 February 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote TLSanders

Just for the record...I'm not Tom.  As long as I've been visiting these boards (and it's been three or four years now), people have periodically taken me for some long-lost poster named Tom Sanders, but I'm not him.  My name is Tiffany :)
Back to Top View TLSanders's Profile Search for other posts by TLSanders

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 18 February 2006 at 1:04am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Tiffany:

Sorry.

Your advice is still solid, even though I thought you were Tom...:)

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 19 March 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Larry (Papa C):

Just finished the rough draft of my latest. How're you doing on yours?

Had a bit of a dry spell/distraction period before the final push, but it kind of made the push all the more sweeter. The ending chapters came on in a flood, a rush, a torrent, whatever. Problem was there wasn't and isn't ever enough time to get it all down when it's going that way, so I had to just take opportunities when they came up.

Managed to find such opportunities in the past week - writing like 1,000 words or so a day (almost never have that kind of output).

On to the editing/revising process.

Best,
hijo

MarkCianfrani

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote MarkCianfrani

Hey so I have another question kind of.... I had this idea for a novel for about.. four years now and I can't write it.. mainly because its set in the 1930s and I just know nothing about the time period.. so I spent a lot of time researching and by the time I was halfway researching.. I just lost focus. Everynow and then I'll get into it again but I always get stuck in research.
Back to Top View MarkCianfrani's Profile Search for other posts by MarkCianfrani

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 31 March 2006 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Mark: what's the novel about, and why is it set in the 1930s? Did you lose interest in the idea, or because of the need for research of the time period?

I ask for a specific reason. From what little you've told us, I'd suggest you write the story - as your novel - as you envision it, and worry about putting it in a particular time period later.

The reason is this: the story should be what's relevant, not its setting, at least to me. Who are the characters, what happens to them, etc.

The problem you have is a common one - you want to set the story in a period in which you have to find resources to tell you information to make it seem plausible.

It reminds me of a professor of mine, who was 87 when I saw him last a few years ago. He was asked what he planned to do now, and he said he was writing about the 1920s. When asked why, his response was: "because I remember them."

Since you apparently don't remember the 1930s, but want to set your characters in them based on others' descriptions of things, you're probably a bit worried any flaws in research or description will be detected. But your story, assuming its valid, should be valid in no matter what time period or location, if it's the essence, the heart of something. If your story is dependent on a time period or location, maybe it's not really what you want to write?

I had an agent once, the wife of a great agent, who recommended I try writing mysteries because that's what she knew she could sell. I wrote 3 mysteries, each probably worst than the first. The first got me a new agent, and the subsequent two made the agent and I part company. What I'm telling you is I spent more than 10 years of my life trying to write something someone told me they could sell (and never did), and discovered afterward I didn't really want to try and pigeon hole my stories into some kind of formula genre.

On the other hand, I have friends who still have that wife of the agent as their agent, and they've sold a ton of stuff, and some of it's set in the 1930s, and some of it's not.

But I can't do it. I run into all kinds of blocks, including a desire to make my settings/characters fit the story, instead of just writing the story as it is and worrying about setting and location second.

Trying to help.

Best,
hijo

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

hijo,

My mind has been elsewhere lately so sorry about the late reply.  I finished the first draft then cleaned it up after a reread and some suggestions from my wife and a friend.  I think it turned out quite well and I'm very excited about it.

My problem now is setting the margins, numbering the pages, etc.  I had the same prob before and asked the questions on the old boared.  But Papa's fading memory has lost that thread.  I need a good book to find these things out.  The writers guide either dont contain them or my fading memeory nakes me see then forget it each time. 

I think the margins are 1 inch top and both sides and 1.5 inches along the bottom.  Double spaced, with paragraphs seperated and numbered with my last name them the # like Cosa/1.  Is that right?  Im going shopping for a new book tomorrow or monday.

I learned alot from my first book.  I plan on returning to it again sometime in the future.  This new one excites me every day.

Larry

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 09 April 2006 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Guess what?  I'm dumb.  I found the page as soon I opened the book again. 

Edited by Papa Cosa on 10 April 2006 at 10:21pm

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 10 April 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Larry (aka Papa C):

Keep at it. Illigitimi non carborundnum, as my father was fond of saying in both Latin and English.

Try more than one agent as well.

In fact, blanket 'em, like trying your fly in several casts before moving on...

Best, and good luck,
hijo

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 10 April 2006 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I'm going to sent my manuscript to 10 or 15 agents.  The last one I sent to 1 then four more and recieved 2 rejections from them. 

MarkCianfrani2

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote MarkCianfrani2

hijo,

hey sorry I had to make a new name because I forgot my email and password. The thing is.. I really wanted to use the Great Depression as means for one of my characters to completely lose everything. I want to write how certain people deal with things. In the 1930's almost EVERYBODY was hit by the depression, some went insane when they lost everything and some just knew how to deal with things. Although, very recently.. I have been thinking about adapting it to modern times and possibly turning my idea into a screenplay.

Back to Top View MarkCianfrani2's Profile Search for other posts by MarkCianfrani2

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version