auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: IT’S OFFFICIAL: Hopkins is Hemingway Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rob on the job

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 October 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote rob on the job

Here you go -- what do you think?

Hopkins is a heckuva an actor. I would have preferred an American to play our man from Oak Park, but Hopkins is not a bad second choice.

Story:

AUCKLAND: Celebrated star Anthony Hopkins has been signed on to play Ernest Hemingway in "Papa," which will be directed by Roger Donaldson.

Donaldson, who was in Wellington to promote 'The World's Fastest Indian' starring Sir Anthony Hopkins, has revealed that the Welsh-born Oscar winner will also play Hemingway in his next project, Papa, as he is best suited for the character.

"It's a pretty ambitious movie for what it is ... Hemingway is a great writer and a great character. If anybody can play Hemingway, Tony Hopkins can," The Dominian Post quoted the director as saying.

Papa is said to look at the end of Hemingway's life, during which he spent time with 'Denne Bart Petitclerc,' America's youngest war correspondent in the Korean War, who reportedly got inspired by Hemingway's coverage of the Spanish Civil War, and ended up visiting the author in his Havana home several times.

link: http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE42005100506215 6&Page=4&Title=Features+-+People+%26+Lifestyle&Topic=0
Back to Top View rob on the job's Profile Search for other posts by rob on the job

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 05 October 2005 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Rob,

I just read Nick Nolte is playing Papa.  Even E news said it.  But the internetmoviedatabase lists Hopkins.  I did some more looking and found an article on line that says it's Nolte.  So who knows what's happening?

The article lists Adrian Noble as the director of 'Papa' with a screenplay by Denne Bart Petitclerc.  I can't provide a link but it can be found on FilmStew.com.

Papa Cosa

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

rob on the job

Posted: 06 October 2005 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote rob on the job

Papa:

Got more ocnfirmation on my news search today that Hopkins indeed will be "Papa."

Ran a check on my newswire today, and papers from the Chicago Sun-Times to Newsday are reporting the same thing.

As far as Nolte -- I think he too could have done a good job, but apparently he did not make the final cut.

Edited by rob on the job on 06 October 2005 at 9:59am
Back to Top View rob on the job's Profile Search for other posts by rob on the job

HemingwayCenter
Site Admin/Editor
Site Admin/Editor

Posted: 06 October 2005 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote HemingwayCenter

I think they got one look at this mug shot of Nolte's after his DWI and decided against that casting call.

http://www.lostgeneration.com
http://www.ehemingway.com
http://www.stickercafe.com
Back to Top View HemingwayCenter's Profile Search for other posts by HemingwayCenter

HemingwayCenter
Site Admin/Editor
Site Admin/Editor

Posted: 06 October 2005 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote HemingwayCenter

And now take a look at this shot of Hopkins...no brainer :)

Edited by HemingwayCenter on 06 October 2005 at 5:07pm

http://www.lostgeneration.com
http://www.ehemingway.com
http://www.stickercafe.com
Back to Top View HemingwayCenter's Profile Search for other posts by HemingwayCenter

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 06 October 2005 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

That's fantastic news!!!  It troubled me that Nolte would be Papa.  He's a good actor but for Papa?  No way.  Hopkins looks great.  For the first time in my life I was wrong.  And I'm glad I was.

Papa Cosa

rob on the job

Posted: 07 October 2005 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote rob on the job

The trick will be for Hopkins to ditch the Welsh accent and instead have the modified Chicago accent that Hemingway had.

Of course, this is Anthony Hopkins -- he'll have it dead-on.

Wordsmithereen

Posted: 07 October 2005 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote Wordsmithereen

Just as a note, when Nick Nolte was aressted for his DWI he had been on the set of the movie where he was a homeless guy. I forget the movie, but it is my understanding he had been drinking on the set, and left without cleaning up. I agree though, no brainer on the A. Hopkins thing, but I like Nolte and believe he could pull it off as well.

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 October 2005 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

He was making HULK when he was arrested.  He wears the same awful shirt in the movie.  I like Hawaiian shirts -most of my shirts are Hawaiian- but his is particularly bad.  Hopkins will pull it off.  He was great as Picasso and Nixon.  He can do it. 

So if the movie is a stinker - is bad Papa better than no Papa?

I thought I might add I played Hemingway in 7th grade.    We had to do a five minute sketch about important figures in history.  It would be years before I read his novels but he had already made an impact on my life.  I thought his life was just incredible.  

Papa Cosa 

Edited by Papa Cosa on 07 October 2005 at 10:00pm

wordsmithereen

Online Status: Online
Posted: 07 October 2005 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote wordsmithereen

Absolutely! I was thinking it was the Fantastic Four or something like that. I didn't know he wore that shirt in the movie though. That's a bit of trivia.

Who else would fit that part as well?

Back to Top View wordsmithereen's Profile Search for other posts by wordsmithereen

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version