auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Paris Hotel Mont Blanc Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hoyt040

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 December 2006 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote hoyt040

In which of Hemingway's books or stories did he mention staying at the Hotel Mont Blanc when he could not afford the Ritz. There is a painting of EH behind the check-in counter. That is where I always stay when I go to Paris.
Back to Top View hoyt040's Profile Search for other posts by hoyt040

HemingwayCenter
Site Admin/Editor
Site Admin/Editor

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote HemingwayCenter

That disgusting post has been deleted.

(Thanks for the notification Hoyt!)

http://www.lostgeneration.com
http://www.ehemingway.com
http://www.stickercafe.com
Back to Top View HemingwayCenter's Profile Search for other posts by HemingwayCenter

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Sorry Mark, hoyt040 and Peter both emailed me but you beat me to the punch. I try to check a couple of times a day but I had not checked today and they got it past me.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

AMAZON allows you to search certain books. There is no reference to this hotel in A Moveable Feast, where I would have assumed ie might be, or in the Complete Short Stories. By Line: Ernest Hemingway and Dateline Toronto are not searchable on line, but I don't recall a reference to this hotel in either of those books. (I don't recall off-hand any reference to the Hotel Mont Blanc.)

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

hoyt040

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote hoyt040

The reference to the Hotel du Mont Blanc and the Hotel Ritz is not in a book. It is on the hotel's web site: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005montblanc.htm

I quote the pertinent part of it:

"If you like the Latin Quarter, you will adore the Hotel du Mont Blanc. The Hotel du Mont Blanc is located in full heart of this district, between the place Saint Michel and the cathedral Notre Dame de Paris.
Hemingway, in one of his books, spoke much about the hotel du Mont Blanc his place of stay in Paris when it was not the Ritz. "

Opinion: The hotel may or may not be correct.

In my reading of some of Hemmingway's books, but not all, I have found no mention of the Hotel du Mont Blanc. 

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 15 December 2006 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

I don't recall any mention of Hotel du Mont Blanc by Hemingway either - though perhaps he mentioned it to someone and it wound up in a biography?

You never know. In Madrid there used to be a Mexican restaurant just off Plaza Mayor around Calle Cuchieros that advertised "Hemingway Never Ate Here." It was right near Botin's, which Hemingway mentioned in The Sun Also Rises.

Best,
hijo

Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote bookman

Reminds me of a little restaurant on Duval Street in Key West (Salsa Loca?), which advertised, "HEMINGWAY ate here!!...OK--Earl Hemingway from Mooresville, N.C.".
Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I don't think Hemingway started staying at the Ritz until just before or during the Second Wold War. Wasn't it at the Ritz that he met Mary? So it's doubtful that he would have stayed somewhere else because of not being able to afford the Ritz. And I don't think they would not have made room for him somewhere in the hotel.

There is a Salon Hemingway at the Ritz in madrid.

I used to kid people that Salsa Loca means "More chips." Groups would sit in the garden in the back, order beer and get a basket of warm, salty chips. When this was empty you could hear "More chips, More chips" from every table.

Pjk 

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

hoyt040

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote hoyt040

To all responders:

I sent an e-mail to the Hotel du Mont Blanc asking them about their website statement in which the statement was made about the hotel. Their reply to me was:

"Sorry, but we have no  the information about the book. We will be gratefull if you informe us about in the case you have found it.
Thank you."

That settles that I guess.

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 16 December 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Peter: pretty funny about the Salon Hemingway at the Ritz in Madrid.

Hemingway stayed at the Hotel Suecia after WWII when he visited Madrid - not the Ritz. And during the Spanish Civil War, he stayed up C/Alcala, not far from what now is "Museo" Chicotes, close to the Congresso and Banco de Espana, up near where at last word the "Hotel Emperador" existed at the top of the hill before heading down toward Puerto del Sol.

He also stayed at/wrote about the Hotel Reina Vitoria, near Plaza Santa Ana, where better-off bullfighters and their cuadrillas stay.

But he became friends with Charles Ritz, an avid fly fisherman, which I guess is how he wound up staying at the Ritz in Paris. After a visit there, I was sorely tempted to round up 51 Fifis and storm the bar - a very disappointingly "snooty" place if ever there turned out to be one.

hoyt040: thanks for the Hotel du Mont Blanc heads' up. There's been more than one occasion when I've wanted to contact Hemingway Ltd. and let Patrick (I guess the last surviving son) know people all over the place are starting to use the Hemingway name - especially overseas, where they know the name has some "cache" but is less likely to provoke a lawsuit...

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version