auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Sun Also Rises (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Sun Also Rises
Subject Topic: help plz Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ace17

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 December 2006 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote ace17

Hi, i was wondering if ppl can reply by telling my why the Sun Also Rises should be banned. I tought it should have been banned and it was. Can some one give me some reason u think it should be banned.

I am too write an essay on this. So plz help.

I have to write why it should be banned. I wrote because of The drinking,Desire for sex, false friendship and use of words like "bitch"

Edited by ace17 on 13 December 2006 at 11:30am
Back to Top View ace17's Profile Search for other posts by ace17

hijo
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 December 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Ace: you could be on the wrong web site.

Personally, I'm against banning ANY books. You don't want to read them, fine. Don't read them. Nobody's putting a gun to your head (yet) and insisting you read something.

People are more likely to put a gun to someone's head and insist they NOT read something.

You don't keep knowledge from people by banning its access. If that were true, half the population at least would freeze to death every winter because they hadn't yet learned how to make a fire...

Speaking of which, while this isn't the Web site for it, perhaps you (or your instructor) should read "Fahrenheit 451" - no, I'm not talking about Michael Moore's movie on 9/11.

The premise of the question - and assertion - is faulty. It assumes a) that books should be banned and b) they should be banned because of their content, whether it is the language used, the description of people, or the message.

I believe it was banned, at one time, for the reasons you mention. But that's because the country at the time was run largely by narrow-minded, xeonophobic, tea-tottling puritanical parochial fear-mongers who worried "exposing" people to a book that actually mirrored - reflected - a segment of society at the time might some how "corrupt" their otherwise pure, blissfully ignorant forms.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version