auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: How do you live your life? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
runthebulls

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 November 2006 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote runthebulls

My question is not based on research or a project. Just interested what your love of Hemingway has "driven" you to do?

I ran with the bulls in Pamplona this summer... 

Back to Top View runthebulls's Profile Search for other posts by runthebulls

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 11 November 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I started traveling to places that Hemingway visited or lived in - Key West, Psris, Spain. I want to go to Lake Como someday. I have to say that Paris is my favorite.

I go to the Hemingway Conferences which are held once every two years. I have been to Key West in '04 and Ronda, Spain in '06. Will go to Kansas City in '08, God willing. I wish I had started earlier. I missed Bimini, Paris, Italy.

Pjk  

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 11 November 2006 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Actually I'm not much like him at all. I'm timid, not a very big guy, don't care for boxing, hate cats, and I don't like to travel although I did drink myself half to death before the age of 30.I have a gray beard, a black Labrador Retriever, live on an island and fish for the big fish and I like to take credit for my son being a literature major and doing his thesis on The Sun Also Rises.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 11 November 2006 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

My father was a great fan of his. My mother told me years ago I had two strong male role models growing up: my father, and Ernest Hemingway.

Because of both of them, I became a journalist, and a writer, and a lover of literature (in a variety of languages). I also became somewhat an observer and lover of the best of humanity - well aware that at heart, our deepest secret is that we're all still animals wearing a disguise of varying degrees we like to call "civilization."

I lived through a war in a foreign country when I was in Middle School, and upon returning to the U.S. had no one my age to talk to about night sweats, day-sleeping, air raids and a hyper-sensitivity to certain sounds. What I did find was a group of Vietnam veterans who tolerated me, and shared much with me. And, as a sophomore in High School, I found The Sun Also Rises being read by a friend my age (who also tolerated me).

Growing up in Wisconsin, I learned and loved to fish from an early age. Also to shoot, and to go off into the woods by myself and return happier than when I left after a few days and nights. I read the Nick Adams stories with a sense of deja vu, as did some of my camping pals.

I deep-sea fish, whenever I can, wherever I can (the last time was a few years ago off Cozumel), and long dreamed of owning my own charter fishing boat after my first trip to KW and my first time out fishing the Great Blue River. I've hunted and camped in the Teddy Roosevelt National Grasslands, where I almost was happier than anywhere else I've ever been - and I've been a bunch of places, read French, speak Spanish and understand Italian (they're all quite similar), and also speak Hindi-Urdu and a smattering of Russian and Chinese.

I have a great love for tender souls, and "zero tolerance" for fools and fakers - including myself, when I fall into too much "Hemingway posturing."

I love the tastes of certain alcohols, and food, and the smell of a ripe lemon fresh from a tree in southern Spain.

When my father died, I ran with the bulls and brought some of his cremated remains with me in a small plastic film container, as I knew he'd enjoy the jog. I left those remains in Pamplona's bullring, mixed well and deep in the arena so as not to throw off the bulls. Another batch I left at the base of the oak tree in Guernika, like it belonged there - as my father would have said he did.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, maybe he didn't influence me at all...

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Leo 168

Posted: 16 November 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Leo 168

Papa Dobles make sense to me (no sugar), but I have no interest in running in front of the bulls (and I wear a helmet when cycling...). Getting hit by a car a few months ago (while standing on a sidewalk) was enough excitement for me, but I respect those who give the bulls a go in Pamplona. The biggest influence Hemingway has had on me was his list of recommended books--I carry it around with me and get one at the library once in a while.

I love Hemingway's below-the-surface writing style (when he was on top of his game) and it has touched me more than any other author's work. When I read the works of Carl Jung I think of Hemingway. I believe we are all connected at a subconscious level and I think that Hemingway was a master of that arena.

Happy dreams,

Leo Gillis

Back to Top View Leo 168's Profile Search for other posts by Leo 168

Steve G.

Posted: 21 November 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Steve G.

New to this site; just a quick note for now. I trained with professional fighters for  10 years; have hunted Africa thrice; deep-sea fished some; write; & enjoy fine wines & cuisine; all at least partially inspired by EH.

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 06 December 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I can say I admire Papa's zest for life.  The man lived and I try to do that myself.  I love a cold beer or a mojito.  I like to savor food not only for its taste but for its ability to bring back memories.  Hemingway finds his way into every aspect of my life.  It's funny but I'll share events from his life like they were my own.  I've spent alot of time reliving Papa's life with Papa Doble.  Also, learning is essential. 

He shows me the basics and for some reason I listen.

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

donmadge

Posted: 12 December 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote donmadge

I have not yet  run with the Bulls of Pamplona, but I ran with the women of Madrid.  This is equally hazardous as they nearly trampled me to death.

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 13 December 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

donmadge,

Papa is grinning where ever he is.  I se him raising a Papa Dobles and smiling his cheshire grin.

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 13 December 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Don, Larry:

From now on, I'll only drink with men who've run with the women of Madrid.

Allbest,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version