auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Author questions for Hemingway project Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
izzoh

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 October 2006 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote izzoh

I am new to Hemingway, loving my research for a project.  I need lots of perspectives on this statement:  I have to be able to support this: or argue this:

Hemingway's self centered world- How his views limited his life and influenced American culture negatively.

(So underneath his greatness... he was  a human man with faults and failings.)

What are your opinions on this?

Back to Top View izzoh's Profile Search for other posts by izzoh

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote bookman

I'd argue it. Despite his failings, or self-centeredness, few lives were as full, exciting, and important as his, and he was always thirsty for knowledge and new experiences as fuel for his writing.
His total dedication to these pursuits and the craft of writing could be considered self-centered, certainly, and did negatively affect his marriages and relationships with his children. In addition, his competitiveness was detrimental to some friendships, but I wouldn't consider that to have been limiting to his life, as a whole.
I would also suggest that his contribution to literature, and literacy, in bringing in a new style of writing, could only be viewed as a positive for American culture.
Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

...and the only "influenced American culture negatively" would be his reputation for drinking and now-a-days for killing a lot of animals and fish, and the same-old same-old macho man image.

He had negative views on many contemporary authors but this in no way limited his life.

Sounds like a difficult task to me, too.

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

izzoh

Posted: 01 November 2006 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote izzoh

Thanks for any input.  Today, now my assignment is to only find evidence to support about his self centered world.  Would you say he was self centered?  From what I read, I'd say at times he definitely was. From my understanding, so far, he was a woman's type man, was he chauvanistic? (sp)

Do you think his vices shed negative light on how his readers saw him?

sorry about all the questions, I really am suppose to interview someone with a list of questions.

Is anyone that is a critic of Hemingway willing to let me interview you by email?

thanks!  feel free to email me too.

runthebulls

Posted: 04 November 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote runthebulls

You may want to look at Kenneth Lynn's book on Hemingway. It details a lot of EH's flaws. Personally I thought his portrayal of EH was too negative, bordering on character assasination. But I'm a bit of a romantic when it comes to the way he lived his life.

It would be good to review for your project.

Back to Top View runthebulls's Profile Search for other posts by runthebulls

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 06 November 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Although an interesting read I would take anything Lynn has to say with many grains of salt.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

izzoh

Posted: 06 November 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote izzoh

What does everyone think of these books and authors to research the above topic:

Right now reading-  the True Gen- Denis Brian ( I am enjoying it and learning a lot from it, realizing I must think these are views that might be hazy to some.

Scanned thru- havent' read-

Hemingway, Life w/out Consequences- James Mellow

Ernest Hemingway- A Life Story- Carlos Baker

Fitzgerald & Hemingway- A dangerous friendship- Bruccoli

I'm enjoying everyone's posts, and now I realize how wonderful this website is.  I appreciate all the educated thoughts, because I sure didn't have many until finding this sight.  I'm honored that you even answer my questions, knowing that I am in a forum with scholars, authors, PhDs, professors, & experts.  You are all a big help in educating me on this topic and changes that should be made.

Brett

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 06 November 2006 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote bookman

I loved The True Gen and agree it's a very interesting and entertaining read. By focusing on his friends and contempories it gives a more balanced view of Hemingway's personality than many traditional biographies.
Mellow's book is okay, but I'd skip it and go right to Carlos Baker. I think his(Baker's)is still the best one- volume biography on Hemingway.
Michael Reynold's five volume biography is the best and most comprehensive larger work.
I agree with Mike Galvin regarding Lynn's biography. He gets into a bunch of psycho-babble to support his negative views.
I've yet to read Fitzgerald & Hemingway (but will someday).
Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 07 November 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

I would skip all of them and dive right into the 5 volumes by Michael Reynolds bookman has suggested. If you are not up to that task (but it won't be a task. It will be an enjoyable adventure)then read Carlos Baker's book.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

runthebulls

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote runthebulls

To Mike Galvin - I too took Lynn's book with many grains of salt. I put that book down so many times - only to open a few days later. I
Back to Top View runthebulls's Profile Search for other posts by runthebulls

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version