auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Book Talk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : Book Talk
Subject Topic: need help re: collectible book for gift Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
buttercup

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 October 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote buttercup

Hello,

I just joined this site to hopefully get some guidance.  My boyfriend is an avid Hemingway fan and I would love to get him a special Hemingway book for his birthday.  As I can't afford anything with Hemingway's signature (!) as I need to stay around a $200-$300 price range.  I also am not knowledgable regarding collecting books.

So!...does anyone have any opinions on what would be a better gift between these items:

*Selected Letters, 1 of 500, signed by the editor;  *For Whom The Bell Tolls, signed by illustrator, limited edition 1 of 1,000 copies;   * All The Brave, signed by artist, numbered edition 1 of 440 copies;   *a book by Ernest Hotchner Hemingway and signed by him.

This may seem a silly question....I know what *I* would prefer but I am not sure what Hemingway fans may consider preferable.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,   Chrystyne  :-)

Back to Top View buttercup's Profile Search for other posts by buttercup

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 24 October 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote bookman

As a collector myself, I would consider the "Letters" book and the biography by Hotchner as reference books. I have them, read them, enjoy them, but they would have no special significance to me.
"All the Brave" has a short introduction by Hemingway, but is not really about him or his life, as I recall.
So my vote would be for the limited edition of "For Whom The Bell Tolls".
Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

buttercup

Posted: 25 October 2006 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote buttercup

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice.  It is very helpful!  Much appreciated!

Chrystyne  :-)

Back to Top View buttercup's Profile Search for other posts by buttercup

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 27 October 2006 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Chrystyne: just read your note. Hope I'm not too late.

If it were for me, I'd want a copy of "All The Brave," which, while not "written" by Hemingway, contains at least one long Hemingway essay on the Spanish Civil War and praise for the illustrator (the book is actually a compilation of artist sketches by Quintanilla, a well-respected and loved Madrid artist whose work was largely destroyed in the seige of his city). I have an original copy as well - wire bound. There aren't that many around, though recently I learned Quintanilla's son, Paul, not only is around but has much of his father's work online (and might be induced to at the very least write your boyfriend a letter about the book).

I think it's a great idea, what you're trying to do - buy a unique gift for someone you care about.

Being an avid Hemingway fan, there's always the risk you might get him something he already has, or at least that duplicates what he already has, and my guess is most Hemingway fans do not have copies of All The Brave.

Best,
hijo

Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version