auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Sun Also Rises (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Sun Also Rises
Subject Topic: Roman a Clef Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mrs Weisgerber

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 October 2006 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Mrs Weisgerber

TSAR is a roman a clef ( say ro-MAHN a CLAY) which is French for 'novel
with a key'. That means there are real-life counterparts for the characters
in the story. Thinking of the early modernism timeline my students have
developed in class, I was wondering how many connections we can find
between Hemingway's life, and the lives of (his) contemporary artists
criss-crossing Paris circa 1926. Did Papa know Joan Miro? Picasso?
Kandinsky? Which other artists was he acquainted with? (Caveat to my
students: If any of you add to this discussion, I want your source of
information... and of course the source must be current, credible,
authoritative, and etc. Wiki-free posts, please.   Be sure to read the
preceding posts so that you do not repeat.) I suggest starting with one
artist that intriques you, and then seeing if you can connect him/her to
Hemingway in Paris or Spain. Post your findings, yay or nay, here at the
message board. Your artist does not have to appear in fictionalized form
in TSAR, we are simply investigating Hemingway's proximity to the early
modern movement in art. XO Mrs W
Back to Top View Mrs Weisgerber's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs Weisgerber

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 21 October 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

My Dear Ms. W:

Perhaps your students would be interested in reading a biography of the couple around which Hemingway's social circle revolved? It is called "Everybody Was So Young," by Amanda Veill.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Mrs Weisgerber

Posted: 22 October 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Mrs Weisgerber

Thanks, hijo. I'll add it to my online bookshelf for my students, and look
forward to reading it myself. Thanks for the recommendation!
Back to Top View Mrs Weisgerber's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs Weisgerber

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 23 October 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

The two that he always mentions are Miro and especially The Farm which Hemingway said described everything he loved about Spain...

http://artchive.com/artchive/M/miro/farm.jpg.html

and Cezanne. Hemingway said that he tried to describe the landscapes in his stories, eps Big Two-Hearted Rive, to the way Cezanne did his landscapes  

http://www.artofeurope.com/cezanne/cez11.htm

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Mrs Weisgerber

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs Weisgerber

The two that he always mentions are Miro and especially The Farm which Hemingway said described everything he loved about Spain...

http://artchive.com/artchive/M/miro/farm.jpg.html

I was wondering if one of my students might look into the provenance of this painting, which was given to the National Gallery of Art in 1987, and bring the discovery back to this forum.  We'll be able to see The Farm at the NGA when we visit  in March... but what will you have to SAY about this early modernist masterpiece when you stand before it?  What does it say about Hemingway?

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Mrs Weisgerber

I was able to view ' The Farm ' at the NGA during the week of the Grand Opening of the NMAI and will look forward to you reaction to your own experience.

" After Miro had painted ' The Farm ' and James Joyce had written ' Ulysses ' they had a right to expect people to trust the further things they did even when the people did not understand them and they have both kept on working very hard. If you have painted ' The Farm ' or if you have written ' Ulysses ' and then keep on working very hard afterwords you do not need an Alice B. Toklas!!! "

" I would not trade [ ' The Farm ' ] for any picture in the world. "

Ernest Hemingway

Christmas 1950 Pierre the son of Henri Matesse visited Ernest Hemingway in Cuba.

Pierre wrote Miro about his visit and to tell him of his masterpiece ' La Ferme ' .

" Hemingway lives in an old { 18th century } house with 40 cats and 200 fighting cocks. He was charming, and showed us ' La Ferme ', which is marvelous, as always, and is in excellent condition. He sent you friendly greetings...At one corner of the house he is building a tower, much like the one in ' La Ferme '. From the roof, he has an extraordinary view of the countryside, Havana, and the sea. He spoke of the view from Montroig, and of the similarity between the two. I shall always remember that panorama and I can see why it has such an effect upon Hemingway. "

Best

Paul

katiee

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote katiee

According to one source and this site's biography section Hemingway met two well known artists. Two artists that Hemingway was known to eat at the same cafe with were Picasso and Giacometti. This site also refers to Picasso being one of Hemingway's friends that was "instrumental in Hemingway's development as a writer and artist." More supporting information that can bring us to the conclusion that these two influential artists were acquainted with Hemingway can be found at http://www.centraleducafe.ch/f/cafes/detail.cfm?ID=D5DB4DA4-4930-4C8D-A187D23E532C9033 .

This site may be in french but is still a reliable source and since we had three french speakers at hand we were still able to use it as it was intended to be used. The cafe's name and location is Café de Flore in Paris, Place St. Germain des Prés. This was a commonly known location where artists and writers could gather to exhange their thoughts.

From,

Katie, Clare, Jill and Catherine

Chris_K

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Chris_K

The Farm by Miro reflects the artist's inner conflict, stemming from living in Paris among the great poets and thinkers of his time so far from his home in Spain.  The environment was far different from where Joan Miro had grown up.  Hemingway shared a similar affinity for Spain, and of the painting said:

"It [The Farm] has in it all that you feel about Spain when you are there and all that you feel when you are away and cannot go there....No one else has been able to paint these two very opposing things."

(from http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/miro.html)

Miro was compelled to paint this work to reflect his back-and-forth ecperience between Paris, France, and Catalonia, Spain.  Hemingway's reponse to the painting tells us that he felt the same and was also shuttled back anf forth between places to a degree.

Chris, Alex, Will, Brian

Back to Top View Chris_K's Profile Search for other posts by Chris_K

Katy L

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Katy L

Hemingway loved going to Spain because it was such a departure from the busy life in Paris. In his painting, Miro expresses two forms of life pulling him in different directions. Hemingway describes it as having in it "all that you feel about Spain when you are there and all that you feel when you are away and cannot go there." The painting shows the struggle of belonging only where you are not. It is an internal conflict with oneself.

Source : http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/miro.html

Elena, Jon, Katy

Back to Top View Katy L's Profile Search for other posts by Katy L

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I can't believe I don't have a photo of the Cafe Flore but during one trip to Paris I made the rounds...Flore, Dome Select, Lilas, Deux Magots, Harry's.

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version