auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Paris Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
parz

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 October 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote parz

What was Mr.Hemingway's favourite haunt on the Boulevard Saint Germain in Paris?Please do tell me I have to really know.
Back to Top View parz's Profile Search for other posts by parz

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 05 October 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Brasserie Lipp 151, Bld. Saint-Germain

(Mine is two doors down at the Taverne Saint-Germain.)

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

donmadge

Posted: 06 December 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote donmadge

When we were last in Paris we visited Montmartre.  There we past the homes of Wilde and Turing.  I thought about their literary/scientific heroism and I it ocuured to me then that the locale to Hemingway would be irrepressible.  These men were persecuted for their sexuality.  Although Hemingway was macho I cannot find in his writings that he was at all homophobic.

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 06 December 2006 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Don

How do you define homophobic?

Best

Paul

donmadge

Posted: 06 December 2006 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote donmadge

Paul,

Homophobia if I understand it correctly is latent homosexuality characterized by the fear of it being in oneself.  This often leads to outrageous acts of violence towards those who are clearly homosexual.  We discovered this in our family when my stepson declared his homosexuality.  In a drunken rage his natural father clearly confessed his inward fear of the condition, thereby displaying homophobic fear.  The Latin roots are homo –same and phobia – fear.

Best

Don

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 December 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Thanks Don,

Using your understanding of homophopia, I can certainly agree with your statement - " I cannot find in his writings that he was at all homophobic. "

Best

Paul

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 December 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

When my friend and I go to Parsi, whatever else we do, we spend a day in Montmartre. There is a self-guided tour in one of her books that we follow from the Metro Station near the Moulin Rouge all the way to the top at Sacre Coeur. If you do this you also pass the "batteau lavoire," literally the wash boat, because the building looks like one of the boats that moored on the Seine and did washing. It was actually a number of very insepensive studios that the struggling artists would use. E.g., Picasso until he became famous. We alsways sit somewhere and have a snack and a drink or two up there, then we browse around the square where all of the artists show off their work. It's a great way to spend a day away from Paris.

http://babette.smugmug.com/photos/96688754-M-1.jpg

I bought one of his sketches which you can see in the photo.

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 December 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

There are also two rival cafes, at the intersection of the Boulevard St. Germain and Boulevard St. Michel (the "Boul Mich.").

The one, Deux Maggots, is quite tourist-oriented these days, but provides (and provided in EH's day) a good spot to watch people from the outside terrace tables. A friend and I always planned to meet there when we were in high school (he grew up there). In 1995, we did just that.

The other, Cafe Cluny, is located across the intersection from Maggots. It is run by a French Basque, Jean-Jacques, and less touristy. But being run by a French Basque (he swore his family had it as long as Deux Maggots has been around), it would attract EH and his friends.

Many of those haunts were the original haunts of the "Boulevardiers."

For an interesting read on Hemingway's initial impression of cafe society in Paris, I recommend reading his article on life at the Rotund - written, I think, for the Toronto Star.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I still spend a lot of time at Les Deux Magots, touristy or not. It just very comfortable and you can watch the Parisian world go by from there. But just down the street is the Cafe Bonaparte which is also good, and next to that is the Petit Zinc. This area is good, in the 6th Arr, because you are within walking distance of a lot of things; a couple of blocks from the river and Notre Dame and the Ile de la Cite. And an easy walk to the Luxemborg Gardens and the Tuerilles. We pretty much always stay around here. We are just starting to plan for a late April / early Mat trip in '07. Everyone come over for a drink.

Pjk

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version