auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Tony Soprano as Hemingway Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Shine KW and Me

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 August 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Shine KW and Me

According to HBO they have a contract with James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) to star, develop and produce a HBO movie next year about PAPA and Martha Gellhorne. It will be interesting to see if Tony can fish from the "PILAR" instead of the "STUGATZ". Regardless, I think James Gandolfini would be most interesting in the role, any thoughts?

Shine KW and Me

Back to Top View Shine KW and Me's Profile Search for other posts by Shine KW and Me

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

I don't see it. I like Gandolfini as an actor but I can't see him playing Hemingway.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Whatever happened to the Anthony Hopkins flick? 
Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Have not heard anything about the Hollywood movie since it was announced Sir Anthony & Meg Ryan had been cast in the roles of Papa & Mary. This HBO movie is news to me. I like the Hollywood casting much more than the HBO if any of it is true. I had my doubts about Sir Anthony playing Hemingway until I saw him as Nixon. Now I'm convinced Hopkins can play any role.

Mike

Edited by Mike Galvin on 01 September 2006 at 9:10am

RobbieJor

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote RobbieJor

Somehow I think Sean Connery would make a good Papa but I don't know if he's tall enough and that accent...

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

I can see Connery playing the older Hemingway but if the HBO movie is about Hemingway & Martha he wouldn't work. Hemingway was only in his 30s when he met Martha.

Mike

Shine KW and Me

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Shine KW and Me

Here are some thoughts on why I think Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) would be interesting as PAPA. (he has grown a great beard for other roles)

Tony Soprano is a big barrell chested drinking man with a receeding hairline, who loves to use his fists. He is a very competitive, horny and carousing hypochondriac. He is a womanizer who has perfected the ability of having a wife and another woman, who he is screwing, in the same room and town and they both know each other. Tony who is frequently in a "black ass" mood, demands loyalty but will quickly turn on a friend even after they have given him money. He has his own "New Jersey" mob comprised of a select group of close drinking buddies and they all hang out at a local bar called the "Bada Bing" where they develop schemes for a real "crook factory." Tony frequently needs to get away from it all on his boat the "Stugatz", where he has been known to use automatic weapons. Tony needs these breaks because the of FBI and the IRS interest in him. Tony is a patriotic, homophobic, somewhat racist and overbearing father whose children have problems measuring up. He has spent time in Italy where his experiences have enhanced his career and he is looked on by the locals as a hero from America. Tony who is not a model catholic who loved his father and hated his mother, although he took care of her financially til the end. He loves to ride around in a big car occasionaly driven by people who work for him. Tony knows what it means to have near death experiences that would affect his future behavior as he recovered from life threatening wounds. 

If he is not too typecast as Tony Soprano and depending on how well it is written, I think Gandolfini could pull it off. It might not be that much of a stretch, plus he looks great in a Cuban Guayabera shirt, Kakhi shorts and loafers.

Shine kw and me

Edited by Shine KW and Me on 02 September 2006 at 4:05pm
Back to Top View Shine KW and Me's Profile Search for other posts by Shine KW and Me

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Hollywood should stick with what works!  Chris O'Donnell or CGI.  Maybe both?

I'll delete my profile now. 
Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version