auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Writing Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Writing Room
Subject Topic: Photos and Info Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 August 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I was talking to someone who is writing a book about Hemingway and he said that the holdup was getting permissions to re-produce various photos and quatations. I'm off to Paris in two weeks and then Key West over the week of Thanksgiving. If anyone needs a photo or some information for a book or article, I would be glad to try to take one or find it out, then you can have it free.

(There is one photo I took of the Dry Tortugas that someone wanted for a magazine cover).

Pjk    

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Peter

Is the Shakespeare and Co Bookstore one of your regular stops in Paris?

If you go there and the opportunity arises, would you inguire whether or not they would have an interest in a 1st edition/ numbered ' 2 ' of Joyce's TALES TOLD TO SHEM OF SAUN... I have every reason to believe this copy is the very one Harry Crosby of Black Sun Press hand delivered to Sylvia Beach.

I have written a paper with many references to support this claim.

Best

Paul

Edited by Paul Hammersten on 27 August 2006 at 3:46pm

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 26 August 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Paul -

I'd be glad to . My friend and I stay in the 6th Arr. about 2 blocks from the Seine on the Rue Jacob,  which is within maybe 15 minutes walk to S & Co. I'll see what the owner says.

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Asante Peter!

And...please ask them about anouther book I have which I was told also belonged to Sylvia Beach.

LA PASSION DE NOTRE SEIGNEUR JESUS - CHRIST par Cyril Verschaeve - Ornee de Compositions d'Albert Servaes.

The book is copy #182 of an edition of 350 - Bruxelles et Paris, 6. VAN OEST & Cie, Editeurs - 1920 -

What is most striking about the book is how much it resembles in style & quality the Black Sun edition Of TALES...

LA PASSION is also printed on Hollande Van Gelder Zonen hand cut paper - also in red & black ink.

I have not found out much info about the book, only a little about the author and artist.

Best

Paul

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Paul - I stopped by S & Co and talked to one of the employees about your request. She seemed interested in the Joyce and had never heard of the other, but luckily I had printed off this entire series of message and one with your email address and just left everything with her.

Hopefully you will hear from them.

Pjk

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Asante! Peter

Best

Paul

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 20 September 2006 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Paul, Peter: as I recall from my visit there, the current S & Co is NOT the original one run by Sylvia Beach.

However, Sylvia was (I could be mixing this up with the current proprietors) a niece or other pretty close relative of Walt Whitman, so likely there are people around who have an interest in any editions or other memorabilia not at the book store - as presumably have the current owners.

In fact, as I recall, the current S & Co. is not even at the location of the original, though it was at a corner between large streets not that far, from my recollection, from the Boul Mich. (and Deux Maggots).

I have a friend who grew up in Paris and has taken students there and for a while he said most of the old bistros like "L'Dome" and "L'Rotund" were gone, but I seem to recall some of them have been reborn.

And Lipp's, which was a hangout not only for EH but for Picasso and all the others as well is still there, I think it was near the 20th Arr., where we stayed with friends.

I'd love to go back and return with information. Perhaps when my son is a bit older...

Next time you're there, Peter, do me a favor and ask if someone can still have the room upstairs in exchange for work at the place...

And Jean-Jacques, the proprietor of the rival to Deux Maggots, Cluny, across the street, told me if ever I was in town I should remind him I met him on a ski vacation in Baqueira Berret in Catalonia and he'd be sure to treat me well (which presumably extends to anyone bringing this information with them to Paris).

He's Basque, French Basque, which may mean more to some than others - it means French sensibility with sauces combined with Basque know-how of meats and fish.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 21 September 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

As of last year all of the places Hemingway mentions are still there - Le Dome La Select, Harry's Bar, La Rotonde, Closserie des Lilas, etc. We made a point of spending one afternoon visiting, or at leasting going into, each of these. Brasserie Lipp has gone up-scale and has gotten a rep for being a tourist place. I was there once and didn't much like it. Two doors down is the Taverne Saint Germain which has the best draft beers in Paris, mostly Belgium. But I finally found a good French beer - Wilfort bruin - at a small cafe, the Bar du Marche. This place was within walking distance of several other cafes, but was almost always crowded.

Pjk

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version