auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Under Kilimanjaro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 September 2005 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

One recent review - 09/10/2005 - of UNDER KILIMANJARO was in The Cleveland Plain Dealer - http://www.plaindealer.com/.

Have any of you read others?

Best

Paul

HemingwayCenter
Site Admin/Editor
Site Admin/Editor

Posted: 12 September 2005 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote HemingwayCenter

Actually Paul, we're waiting for your review :)

Mark

http://www.lostgeneration.com
http://www.ehemingway.com
http://www.stickercafe.com
Back to Top View HemingwayCenter's Profile Search for other posts by HemingwayCenter

woyzeck9

Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote woyzeck9

Is Under Kilimanjaro fiction, or is it like True at First Light and a fictional
memoir or something like that?
Back to Top View woyzeck9's Profile Search for other posts by woyzeck9

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 14 September 2005 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

http://www.kent.edu/Magazine/spring2005/upload/LiteraryTroph y.pdf

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 October 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

http://www.saveamboseli.net/

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 06 December 2005 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I got received the book.  I'm excited to say the least.  The book itself is quite handsome.  The inside covers are a copy of Papa's typed manuscripts with his handwriting over the parts he revised.  I hope to get to it tonight.  I'll give you a report when I'm a good way through or when I've finished it.

Papa Cosa

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 December 2005 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

I am looking forward to your reaction!

Best

Paul

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 09 December 2005 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I didn't want to comment on this book until I finished it but after todays reading I had to say a few things.  I like all of Hemingway's work but I can admit when I think the writing doesn't work and that's just my opinion.  I'm not in thw writing business nor am I a Hemingway scholar (except in my mind).  I've read the works Mary published after Papa's death and I can honestly say based on the 1/5 of the book I've read that this is the best of them all.  The style just flows and it moves like the best parts of For Whom the Bell Tolls.  I was reminded of the battle scenes particularly whem Hem describes being blown up.  Not much happens action wise but it's worth it just for the writing.  This work is also infused with some good humor. 

I hate to gush but I love this book so far.  Who knows two pages from now I may hate it and call it the worst Papa ever published and that Papa's 'How do you like it now, gentlemen?' is better.  I'm just excited about it.  Papa Doble was over yesterday and we watched Keach in his masterful protrayl of Papa.  The Papa mood grows!!!

I'll keep away from this thread until I finish the book.  Until then enjoy my ever growing and humorless 'You know when...' thread.  Joking.  Finsihing the book will take some time as I'm keeping up with my own writing schedule while I have time off from work.

Papa Cosa   

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 13 December 2005 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Ngoma literaly means drum.

http://www.zanzibarmusic.org/Ngoma.htm

" Don't put your hand on my drum. You deaden it. "  said the Hemingway character in UNDER KILIMANJARO. And adds, " I can't drum at all. I'm just not doing any harm. " I can see him now drumming the heartbeat drum for The Queen of the Ngoma!

It's all about the Ngoma for the Baby Jesus! You are going to really like the dance party when you get to it Papa Cosa!!

The old time Indian saying Hemingway would have been familiar with says, "An Indian dancing might die, but he never surrenders! "

Dance on Papa!

Best

Paul

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I'm sorry but I had to put this book down for awhile.  I love Hemingway and this book was wonderful starting out.  Then I started to become annoyed at things.  I plugged on but it got out of control.  Many scenes - in my opinion  - show Papa as a know it all.  I knew he was like this but this book keeps pounding that point home (unintentionally).  So I put it down for now.  I intend to get back to it later with a fresh mind because while reading it alot was going on and I couldn't devote myself to the book.  There were many beautiful passages and its a must for Hem fans but be warned it can get tedious.  But maybe that's me.

Papa Cosa

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version