auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Under Kilimanjaro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 January 2006 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Papa Cosa

I think you would do best to put the book down for some time. But don't forget to take it off the book shelf when you are a Mzee!!

What really struck my fancy about UNDER KILIMANJARO was knowing Hemingway experienced the things he wrote about and wrote about them when he was roughly the same age I was when I first read his AFRICA BOOK.

Best

Paul

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 20 January 2006 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I know you're right.  I'll get back to it soon.  My reading habits change with the weather.  For some reason - right now I'm dying to read about pirates.  Maybe I'll read Treasure Island.  Some  Raymond Chandler sounds good too.  My moods are all over the map.  I guess I was just Papa-ed out.  I read To Have and Have Not, The Nick Adams Stories and Farewell.  I even got the rope belt out of the closet. 

By the way - I bought Into the West.  I love that mini-series!  I have yet to get anyone besides my wife to watch it though.

Papa Cosa

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 26 January 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Here is the beginning of that list of books about safari in which Hemingway's        ' Pop ' , Phillip Percival, was the guide:

SAFARI by Bartle Bull - Charts the history of the African safari, from the first great expedition of 1836 through to the present day. Colour, sepia and b/w photographs and illustrations. Bartle Bull was born in England and educated at Oxford. A student of Africa for ovr thirty years, he went on his first safari in Kenya in 1959 with the Polish hunter Stas Sapieha. At the time he was writing his Harvard College thesis on Rhodesia. He is a lawyer and lives with his son in New York, where he was formerly publisher of The Village Voice. His first novel is The White Rhino Hotel. Safari has received great critical acclaim. Charts the history of the African safari, from the first great expedition of 1836 through to the present day. Colour, sepia and b/w photographs and illustrations. Bartle Bull was born in England and educated at Oxford. A student of Africa for ovr thirty years, he went on his first safari in Kenya in 1959 with the Polish hunter Stas Sapieha. At the time he was writing his Harvard College thesis on Rhodesia. He is a lawyer and lives with his son in New York, where he was formerly publisher of The Village Voice. His first novel is The White Rhino Hotel. Safari has received great critical acclaim. I also read THE WHITE RHINO HOTEL - good but a bit strange.

END OF THE GAME by Peter Beard - Beard's unique style and startling photographs and illustrations form an exciting and memorable record of the last days of the big game hunters. Includes "A twenty year illustrated record of the great pachyderm (Loxodonta africana) and man"; tales of Karen Dineson von Blixen, Philip Percival, J A Hunter, Col Richard Meinertzhagen and Ewart S Grogan; "the never-before-published, hand written diaries of Colonel John Henry Patterson, single-minded pursuer of the man-eaters of Tsavo".

AFRICAN GAME TRAILS by Teddy Roosevelt - Percival was a white hunter during part of this safari. I also think he might have been with Winston Churchill MY AFRICAN JOURNEY. I have a first of this book but haven't read it yet...saving it as long as I can!

HUNTING IN AFRICA EAST AND WEST by Charles Curtis - With Philip Percival as their professional hunter, the Curtises embarked on the Uganda Railway to hunt southwest of Kijabe. They hunted eland in the Kedong Valley before climbing the Mau Escarpment to reach the Guaso Nyero. Among the animals in their game bag were kongoni, gazelle, wildebeest, oryx, and others. There is considerable description of lion hunting in the region. In Masai territory, they bagged rhino and buffalo. The final section of the book, totaling about seventy pages and written by Richard Curtis, describes a hunt for giant sable near the Loando River in Angola" (Czech, p. 44). As the dustjacket proudly proclaims, they bagged "The only Giant Sable Antelope ever shot by Americans. This one I am reading now and really like it.

OUR AFRICAN ADVENTER by William MORDEN -Big Game Hunting Safari in East Africa with the legendary Phillip Percival as the hunter-guide and young Harry Selby as the assistant hunter to Mr. Percival. Profusely illustrated with photographs and a folding map of Kenya and Tanganyika.  Morden led the 1926 Morden-Clark expedition through the Russian Pamirs and Chinese Turkestan, in 1929-30 he led the Morden-Graves North Asiatic Expedition. Here Morden leads an expedition developed in co-operation with the Department of Anthropology at the American Museum of Natural History, to study the little known natives of the Turkana District of northwestern Kenya.

CHRONICLES OF A SECOND AFRICAN TRIP by George Eastman -  In addition to Osa and Martin Johnson, Eastman of Kodak fame , was accompanied by the famous hunter Philip Percival. They went down the Nile by steamer, across the Sudan, and into Uganda where Eastman bagged both an elephant and a white rhino.

AFRICAN GAME LANDS by Prentiss Gray - Prentiss Gray was a prominent Boone & Crockett member who made an extensive African hunting trip in 1929. He kept meticulous diaries, which are now being published for the first time. Among other game, he shot a rare giant sable in Angola. Produced with 120 photographs taken by the author and his wife Laura. They were guided by the famous PWH Philip Percival in Kenya where they hunted for antelope as well as members of the Big Five.

SAFARI : A SAGA OF THE AFRICAN BLUE by Martin Johnson -  Into the Blue; Our Race to Paradise; We Dig In; "Little Half-Brother of the Elephants"; Waterhole Thrills; Wilderness Folk; Our Backyard Circus; Attacked by Rhinos; The Creature God Forgot; A Desert Nincompoop; A Cameraman's Troubles; My Wife Holds the Gun; Visitors and Illness; Tanganyika Lions; The End of the Trail; ILLUSTRATIONS: A Libeled Elephant (frontispiece); Lake Paradise; Typical Country Surrounding the Lake; Oryx at a Waterhole; High Noon on the Serengeti Plains; Osa Trout Fishing in a Typical Pool; No Trouble at All; A Member of the Family; Kalowatt Sick in Bed; Two Uses for Automobiles in Africa; A Typical Night Scene at Lake Paradise; A Flash That Boomeranged; A Corner of Lake Paradise; Our First Home at Lake Paradise; Caravan of Dromedaries; Making Camp in the Elephant Country; A Hermit Visits the Waterhole; Boculy, the Greatest of All Elephant Trackers; A Study in Shadows; In the Attitude of an Accomplished Sneak; A Hyena That Jumped Before He Looked; Topi on the Plains of Northwest Tanganyika; A Brazen Member of the Beggars' Guild; Elephants Asleep at Noon; More Elephants in the Same Region; Resting in the Field; At Home on Safari; Overlooking the Kaisoot Desert; A Scene Near Lake Paradise; Ndorobo Hunters; A Lumbwa Warrior; A Sleepy Old Elephant in the Northern Game Reserve; Before the Charge; "Sweet Potatoes" -- A Nightly Visitor; The Advantages of Being a Perfect Lady; A Rhino That Claimed the Right of Way; Stopped by Osa's Bullet; A Forest Rhino on the Plains Outside Lake Paradise; Giraffe on the Serengeti Plains in Tanganyika; A Mother with One of the Hardest Jobs in the World; Common Zebra at a Chobe Waterhole; Lords of the Waterhole; Going for a Free Ride; An Impromptu Bath on the Northern Frontier; This Lioness Returned Four Times to Be Photographed; A Leopard That Deserved His Picture; An African Killer Takes His Own Picture; A Dangerous Customer; The Modern Short Skirt in New Surroundings; Lumbwa Debutantes Under a Handicap; A Fine Type of Meru; A Necklace Made of Elephants' Tails; At a Station on the Kenya and Uganda Railway; Snow-Capped Mt. Kenya as Seen from Nanyuki; Philip Percival and George Eastman Talk It Over; Mr. Daniel Pomeroy with His Impalla; Warrior and Lion Speared on the Serengeti Plains; After a Lion Spearing; Just Before Our Most Exciting Adventure; Surrounded by Lumbwa Warriors; The Eternal Triangle in a Wilderness Setting; A Detail of My Strange Experience with Akeley; Just Before the Big Parade; Three Out of Fifteen; Stealing a Little Thunder from a Lumbwa Victory; The Song of Triumph.

EQUATORIAL DAWN. Travel Letters from North, East and Central Africa. by Dorothy Radcliff - Travel Letters from North, East and Central Africa. Includes: Nairobi, on the Serengetti, Safari to the Northern Frontier Province, Western Kenya, into Uganda, the Belgian Congo, the Nile, a conversation in the African bush with Philip Percival and Ernest Hemingway concerning dangerous game.

I have not read Percival's autobiography yet.

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 05 February 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

This review of UNDER KILIMANJARO by Robert Tilendis just might prompt someone to read this book by Hemingway.

http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_hemingway_kilimanjar o.html

Best

Paul

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 March 2006 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Recently I salvaged a copy of FOUR YEARS IN PARADISE by Osa Johnson from the town dump.

It is a good read and no doubt Hemingway read this classic.

What I find of special interest is how Blaney Percival came out of retirement to get  Martin and Osa Johnson started on their adventure just as his brother Philip got Papa and Mary started on their safari.

Best

Paul

Edited by Paul Hammersten on 07 March 2006 at 4:24pm

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 March 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Paul,

It's odd that you mentioned this.  A reading group I'm part of has a new member.  He's from S. Africa and he mentioned I Married Adventure.  Our conversation went on to the man-Eaters of Tsavo.  He said he and his wife went there a couple of years ago and he said that it's as if you step back in time.  It's always great to talk about the lions of Tsavo and he said its something they touch upon in class.

Under Kilimanjaro is on my reading plate again.  I like it and as I read more the journey though it becomes easier and more fun.  Our group wanted to read Under Kilimanjaro but a vote decided that it would be The Sun Also Rises.

best, 

Larry

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 08 March 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Larry

I am on the lookout for a copy of Blaney Percival's A GAME RANGER'S NOTEBOOK.

" Percival was a member of the Kenya Game Dept for 23 years. His chapters on lions and elephants are excellent. Also info on stalking, tracking, photography. Ill. from photos by the author and Mrs. Martin Johnson. " !

Blaney plays a major role in the ' Lions of Tsavo ' saga.

Best

Paul

Leo 168

Posted: 21 March 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Leo 168

re: salvaging books from the town dump

Hello Paul,

At the dump near the town where my parents live, there's a shack where people can leave their unwanted books. There I found Ingrid Bergman's autobiography. Of course, I first skipped to the Hemingway sections (she was grateful for his full support when she was expecting a child with Rosselini--they named that daughter Isabella). One of the better known films that Isabella starred in was 'Cousins'. It was filmed in and around Vancouver, British Columbia.

I'm now enjoying Under Kilimanjaro (judging by the condition of the book, I may have been the first to take it out of the library!).

I wonder what ever became of Debba?

Cheers-Leo

Back to Top View Leo 168's Profile Search for other posts by Leo 168

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Paul,

I'll keep my eyes open and ask my S Africans friends. 

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Leo - One of my favorite scenes to visualize in UNDER KILIMANJARO is that of Debba dancing to Hemingway's drumming at the Ngoma.

I understand those dances were much like the powwows I participated in...especailly those in the early '70's...intense.

As Papa would say, " An Indian dancing might die, but he never surrenders."

As the dancing really got going one wondered what would end the party!

I have wondered, while looking at the photo of Debba and Papa, what became of her. I have asked some people but never got a response. Hemingway hoped to get back to Africa after his last safari but could not make the trip.

Larry - Another book on my list is OUT IN THE BLUE by Vivienne De Watteville. I have a copy of her SPEAK TO THE EARTH. Her African writings influenced Hemingway's.

Best

Paul

Edited by Paul Hammersten on 24 March 2006 at 4:18pm

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version