auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: My Cuban Son Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GOTT MIT UNS

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 July 2006 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote GOTT MIT UNS

I have just returned from the Hemingway Society Conference in Ronda where I met a most amazing man, Hemingway's 'Cuban Son'. 

Rene Villarreal was EH's major domo for many years at the Finca Vigia.   Mary Hemingway's book THE WAY IT WAS makes frequent mention of Rene from the day he was hired as a teenager until Ernest left Cuba in 1959 unaware he would never return.  Mary describes Rene as quiet, well-mannered, and gentle with the the animals; her Cuban Son who worked with goodwill and devotion.

Mary was right.   Rene Villarreal is a consumate gentleman.  Today, in his mid-eighties, Rene's memory is as clear as a bell and his knowledge of Hemingway is personal and intimate.  Somewhere along the way he picked up Papa's skill as a storyteller.  Rene attended  the Hemingway Society Conference and participated in several  discussion groups.  With his son Raul  interpreting, he told us about daily life at the Finca...hearing Ernest wake in the bedroom above his basement quarters, counting while Ernest did his mornmg exercises,  the night Batista's soldiers killed Muchakas..the ghost in the baseball field, fascinating stories told with warmth and humor.

Rene was kind enough to grant me an interview for my book GOTT MIT UNS about Hemingway's Nazi belt buckle.  He was able to confirm my research and include additional facts that will make it a better book.

But it is Rene's book I want to tell you about.With Raul's help, Rene Vallarreal is writing a book about life with Ernest and Mary at the Finca Vigia.  Watch for it!  I think it is going to be an excellent addition to the Hemingway collection.

I

Edited by GOTT MIT UNS on 12 July 2006 at 9:09pm

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 12 July 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 12 July 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

This is Rene Sr and Jr receiving a photo of Sr and two bullfighters and Hemingway taken at the finca.

Tom - Sorry I never got a chance to sit and have a drink and snacks with you guys. I take it you got home OK? We spent 2 and 1/2 days in Madrid before flying out, but I have to go back to Ronda---I love that place.

The Villarreals are great. I promisced Raul that whenever he has a show in NYC I will go up and see it. 

They are saying the next conference is in Kansas City.

Pjk 

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 July 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Tom, thanks for the post. We'll be watching for Rene's book. Hopefully it will be available in the good ol'USA. Anxiously awaiting the publication of Got Mitt Uns.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

GOTT MIT UNS

Posted: 12 July 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote GOTT MIT UNS

Dr. livingston I presume?

Two HEMING-WAY-FARING STRANGERS ROUNDEZVOUS BRIEFLY IN RONDA BULL RING BEFORE RESUMING GLOBAL SEARCH, CRISS-CROSSING PLANET IN SEARCH OF Papa's molecules.  Peter Krynicki on the left and Tom Sanders

Edited by GOTT MIT UNS on 12 July 2006 at 9:52pm

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 15 July 2006 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Great stuff, both of you!

I, too, love Ronda and am anxious to go back there.

Sounds like it was a great conference. I'll keep an eye out for Rene Sr's stuff as well...

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version