auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Hem’s Hurricane. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 September 2005 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I couldnt help but be reminded of Hemingway's hurricane and I remember papawannabe mentioned a book about it coming out soon.  Does anyone have any other info on this?  I tried looking it up but came up with nada. 

We lost our power for almost a week and two fences were smashed.  The roads were blocked with fallen trees and everything was closed.  I complained nonstop to anyone who would listen.  Feeling kind of stupid about that now.  It's amazing how we fret over such small things.  Too bad it take something like Katrina to remind us that whats important is whats living and breathing. 

My wife mentioned that Issac's Storm is a great book about the hurricane that hit Texas way back when.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Papa Cosa

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 11 September 2005 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

The computer went down when I finsihed the other post and I didnt think it took.  Sorry folks.

Papa Cosa

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 12 September 2005 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Papa C: Glad you're okay.

The "Hemingway Hurricane" was actually called the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935. As noted in the other post "Another storm" or whatever, the Labor Day hurricane was as far as anyone can tell a Category 5, meaning more powerful even than what hit the Gulf Coast with Katrina (a Category 4).

Despite the wind and the storm surge, the worst that seems to have befallen at the least New Orleans with Katrina was the levee system breaking.

I've done some research. There was a Great Mississippi Flood in 1927 in which one Herbert Hoover took charge. A book on that is also just now out. Something like 500,000 people were displaced because of it, and it is credited with a large influx of Mississippi River residents moving into other states. It also threatened New Orleans, but a levee system was deliberately blown up to keep the waters from reaching the city.

Apparently his handling of the crisis, or at least the PR associated with it, led to Herbert Hoover's election as President - as well as some Federal oversight of crises that overwhelm the local and state authorities.

Katrina is exactly what I was talking about when I posted during last year's storms that when FEMA (at least when I lived in South Carolina) says you need to leave, you need to leave if you want to live.

Unfortunately I had a job where, while I managed to sandwich my work between Hugo and Andrew, had either of them struck while I was in town I would have been locatable in the one "safe" location during the thing - the FEMA bunker in the Beufort County Jail (designed to withstand a Category 5).

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 12 September 2005 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Without checking, I think there are two books about this huricane...

Last Train to Pardise and the Train That Died At Sea.

Pjk 

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 12 September 2005 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Thanks hijo and Peter!

The book I heard/read about was specifically about Hemingway's experience with the Labor Day hurricane.  Last Train to paradise is a good book!

Papa Cosa

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version