auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: 62 Anniversary Of D Day Invasion Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 June 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Let's not forget that today marks the 62 anniversary of the D Day Invasion. With all the bullsh*t about today being some kind of satanic hocus pocus it is important that folks remember the real importance of the date. Remind someone just what our fathers & grandfathers did on this date in 1944.

Mike
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

HemingwayCenter
Site Admin/Editor
Site Admin/Editor

Posted: 06 June 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote HemingwayCenter

Amen to that Mike,

My 13 year old wore a D-Day T-Shirt today to school that he got at the D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia a couple of years ago.  He's a young WWII "scholar" and I didn't even have to remind him what day it was which was kind of refreshing.

Not sure if you've been down to Bedford to check out that memorial, but it is very nicely done, even if it is out in the middle of no-where.  Statistically Bedford lost more citizens on that day than any other town or city in the US, so that's why they put it there.

Mark

http://www.lostgeneration.com
http://www.ehemingway.com
http://www.stickercafe.com
Back to Top View HemingwayCenter's Profile Search for other posts by HemingwayCenter

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 06 June 2006 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Mark, Haven't visited yet but I'd like to and also visit the D Day Museum in New Orleans. There is a WWII Museum in Wolfboro, NH near my Dad's house I've visited.
I did read The Bedford Boys by Alex Kershaw. A very interesting (and sad) book. Kershaw wrote an excellent book on The Battle Of The Bulge, The Longest Winter which I've also read. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in the American involvement in WWII.
John C. McManus has written two excellent books on the American landings on the beaches of Normandy, The Americans At D Day and The Americans At Normandy as well as Joseph Balkoski's two books Utah Beach and Omaha Beach and of course John Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy and Stephen Ambrose D-Day.
Very happy to hear your son understands the significance of this date. So many people were only interested in the bogus significance of the 6/6/06 date. What a load of crap. I held a little history class at the office this morning. It's distressing how many of the young folks I work with knew something of D Day but were totally unaware of it's importance in history.I'm now reading Major Dick Winters book Beyond Band Of Brothers.

Mike

Edited by Mike Galvin on 06 June 2006 at 9:41pm
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

Shine KW and Me

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Shine KW and Me

Mike, my wife and I were at Harrod's on June 2nd 2004 and I had a a very memorable experience (as a veteran) in the basement lounge on that day. I was in the company of about ten Allied veterans from WWII, who were on their way to the 60th memorial services in Normandy on 6/6/04. They like myself were tired of shopping at Harrod's with our wives and we all wound up in the lounge.

These veterans in their 80's wore unit Berets, medals and some the entire uniform. I had tears in my eyes watching them salute, shake hands and hug each other even though they never met in person before. I am still in awe of what I saw and heard in a most improbable setting. I managed to shake hands and thank them (Americans and Uk alike) for their sacrifices 60 years before.

We left London for the Isle of Jersey the next day and I watched with great interest on the BBC their coverage of D day. I listened to many a veteran describe in detail the time they spent at Normandy. I particulary enjoyed the exploits of the glider pilots.

We were going to take the ferry from Jersey to Normandy but we were advised that once we got to France the trip to the beaches were clogged with literally thousands of people trying to get there.

We returned to London on the 6th and I watched the Normandy proceedings on the BBC. I saw a particularly upsetting thing that our president G.W.Bush did after he and the president of France finished their remarks. President Bush stepped into the crowd of dignitary's to shake hands and walked right pass a veteran wearing the Medal of Honor. I do not know what the protocol is in that situation but I think the president dropped the ball on that one. I wonder how many veterans like myself saw that particular snub.

On another note on June 4th of this year my wife and I were on a tour of Italy and the tour director took us to the American Cemetary and Memorial just south of Florence where nearly 5000 American veterans from WWII are buried. It is a fitting tribute and resting place for our veterans. Once again I was reminded of the sacrifices these veterans from the "Greatest Generation" made for us. You can find the Florence Memorial at www.abmc.gov .

Thanks Mike for the posting on the real significance of 6/6/06 and above all thanks to all veterans.

Regards,

John (aka) Shine KW and me

Back to Top View Shine KW and Me's Profile Search for other posts by Shine KW and Me

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version