auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Sun Also Rises (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Sun Also Rises
Subject Topic: Charachters relating to Bull fighting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
englishonors

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 May 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote englishonors

Ok..

This is new to me, but i need some feed back.

im doing a power point for my enlish class, and it has to do with the charchters relating to bull fighting.

Such as Jake representing the a steer, or also the The blind bull. Or how Brett represents the Bull in general, because of her being dominant over the men. Feed back??? on what other characters could symbolize towards bull fighting>?

hijo
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 May 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Very interesting angle. Yes, Jake could represent a steer, on the surface, but not really because steers tend to be docile and Jake isn't exactly. They also lead bulls into and out of the ring - and no one is quite sure why virile bulls willingly follow steers (castrated bulls).

Cohn more likely would represent a blind bull, or a steer, being led around by others or reacting rather than acting on his own in most cases.

Brett as a bull? Interesting again. Hadn't thought of that. Maybe the bravest bull among steers that think they're bulls?

Mike is like a steer, it seems to me. He just kind of goes along, and if you're with him, great, and if you're not, fine.

Pedro without a doubt is a bullfighter, but a young one with bravery but less experience. In the end, Brett decides not to "ruin" him - take away a certain innocence and view of the world? - like the rest of her group appears ruined and wounded.

They're all blind bulls in search of the scent of a steer to take them away?

But you're definitely on to something, I think. Just look at the fact the novel has tercios - three acts - Book I, Book II and Book III.

If it WERE a bullfight, in Book I, all the players would be introduced, and the bull would be allowed to show its strengths and speed and also flaws and correctable defects. And it would go through the "suerte de varas," in which it sees its natural enemy the horse and charges, regardless of any pain it receives in so doing.
So, is Brett the bull, or the horse? Is Cohn the bull, or a steer? And Jake - is he observing, or manipulating (capework)?

In Book II, it would be time for the banderillas to be put in - especially the black and white paper covered long ones, to "castigar," and correct, any tendencies of the bull that might lead it to shy away instead of following its natural instinct to clear its view of interlopers. Who places the banderillas? Jake? Or in Jake? Cohn? Or in Brett? Or Brett in all the men she's with -including Mike?

And of course, Book III would be the "supreme suerte" - the paso dobles and other capework that shows the matador one with the bull, forming the "golden mean" in tableu form, the matador - the killer of the bulls - demonstrating his skill and art as superior to the instinct and brute power of the beast. Ending, of course, with death - either the bull's, or the matador's. Or both. Or neither.

So, in your theory, are we to presume that Brett receives an "indulto" - she's allowed to continue her life, perhaps with Jake, while Pedro is allowed to continue his as if he'd never been involved with the group? Or is Cohn killed, figuratively, emotionally, and shown not worthy of the bull (Brett) he challenged?

Hmmm.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version