auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Hemingway In the News (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : Hemingway In the News
Subject Topic: Another killer storm remembered Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HemingwayCenter
Site Admin/Editor
Site Admin/Editor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 September 2005 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote HemingwayCenter

Another killer hurricane 70 years ago...

http://www.lostgeneration.com
http://www.ehemingway.com
http://www.stickercafe.com
Back to Top View HemingwayCenter's Profile Search for other posts by HemingwayCenter

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 08 September 2005 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

Mark, thanks for sharing that wonderful article.  I have read E.H.'s articles on that hurricane before.  True, it was a different kind of article for him at the time.  What a history lesson though...such a constructive long range scope, could be best in the long run, wonder if anyone will pay any attention. Keep the good articles coming.

Best,

docnme

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 09 September 2005 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Mark: I agree with Ramona it is an interesting article. But I disagree with its premise on a myriad of levels, not least of which is the fact we here in the NYC/NJ area were around for 9/11, when we ostensibly were taken by surprise - what, as opposed to knowing of an incoming Soviet missile?

And the pathetic response - in terms of preparation money being cut and in many other ways - of all levels of government, but in particular the boondoggle Department of Homeland Insecurity four years almost to the day since that tragic event has my blood boiling nearly to the point of EH's scathing article.

Right now, even rebuilding is irrelevant. What's important, and been important since before the storm hit, is that hundreds of people were left stranded by a government that conditioned them to rely on it, to follow its instructions, to trust it to protect them, only to find that the same government appears far more concerned right now (Congress members on both sides of the aisle included) with public relations management than feeding, hydrating and clothing the hungry.

How is the Port of New Orleans, which apparently has been our oil achiles heel for years, going to recover without a) inflation b) higher taxes on the federal level and c) higher unemployment and an economic recession, all brought on by a lack of concern for preparation even to the point of having a clear chain of command?

The busses are coming. We shall prevail. We'll rebuild. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Easy enough to spew when you have a home to go to, already paid for by taxpayers.

(Besides, as I recall, though I could again be having a moment of senility, Matacumbe Key is above, not "down" from Key West).

Someone should ask the Editor of Editor's Notebook if he has a home on Hilton Head Island, S.C., like many from Ohio. Another place just waiting for "The Big One."

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Pablo

Posted: 09 September 2005 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Pablo

Very well said.  Thanks for your candor Hijo

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 09 September 2005 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Ganador: thanks.

All I'll add is for God's sakes, mothers of newborns lost their babies in the Superdome because they didn't have enough water to produce enough milk to breast feed their dying infants. For DAYS. Having lost a child despite her having the best care possible, to hear of another parent losing a child just breaks my heart over again. And to hear it told as a statistic, without emotion, as something that just couldn't be avoided, makes my blood boil.

I'd love to see New Orleans. Never got to it yet. But I don't give a crap about destroyed property or glory or anything else. I weep for the destroyed lives, the destroyed livelihoods, the destroyed families, the displacement of people whose only crime was to be unable to leave before Katrina struck, and who had the gullibility to believe their government would, let alone could, protect them.

Just like the Labor Day storm. It should have. It should have.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version