auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Help with a Topic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jinx500

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 April 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Jinx500

Hi all..

I stumbled across this web-site - and I am hoping that someone can help me.

I have to write a paper about ONE aspect of Heminway's life.  It could be anything - from one of his books to where he lived - or what he liked to do.  From what I've read so far - he has done an awful lot, and I'm having a hard time narrowing down my search - and finding a topic that would be different from the other students.

Does anyone have a suggestion?   Thank you so much for any advice you can give me.

Jinx

Back to Top View Jinx500's Profile Search for other posts by Jinx500

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 04 April 2006 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I can pretty much quarentee this would be different...

write a paper about hemingway's introductions to other people's books, from KiKi (of Monteparnasse) to Gustav Regler's novel about the Spanish Civil War to Kip  Farrington's Atlantic Big Game Fishing, just for examples. You could concentrate on the variety of the intros and why he did them.  Even your teacher won't know about this.

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Jinx500

Posted: 04 April 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jinx500

That sounds like a wonderful topic...  definately different.  Now, if I could pick your brain just a little more...  how would I go about researching "why" he decided to write those intros?

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 04 April 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

There are two books which deal with this, at least partly. One is new,

Hemingway And the Mechanism of Fame: Statements, Public Letters, Introductions, Forewords, Prefaces, Blurbs, Reviews, And Endorsements, edited by Matthew Brucolli.

and one is old, Hemingway's Art of Non-Fiction by Ronald Weber.

The reason why is simple but you must understand that many people focus on Hemingway's mean side. He was mean to his wives and mean to his friends and mean to people whom he thought to be literary competitors. Well sure he was, but he didn't get up in the morning and say "To whom shall I be mean today?"  (He probably wouldn't have said "to whom..." in any case) Anyway, he was also kind to various people. He gave his Nobel Prize to the poor fishermen of Cojimar, Cuba. When Gerald Murphy's young son was dying, Hemingway would visit and bring him things and was teaching him to shoot. And when Ezra Pound was in prison after WWII, Hemingway sent money for his up-keep. 

People would write to him and ask him to write intros to their work because they new that this would be profitable to them. "With an introduction by Ernest Hemingway" meant sales. Look at the value of Andre Malraux's novel on the Spanish Civil War, Man's Fate,  without such a forward, on BOOKFINDER.COM. Now look at the value of Regler's novel, The Great Crusade. See the difference?

He did it because he was asked by a friend, and he did it without payment. It is part of the other side of Hemingway. The part that you must overlook if you want to describe him as a snook. This should be the crux of your paper on Hemingway's introductions.

Pjk

Edited by Peter Krynicki on 04 April 2006 at 8:30pm
Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Jinx500

Posted: 04 April 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jinx500

You are very wise indeed....

I will start looking into this.  Thank you so much for your help!

Jinx

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version