auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Castro and Hemingway - Good Buddies? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hijo
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Don: your friend is likely right about having done something extraordinary for Cuba. But like many things, including occassional exploits of parents, we are not to know for quite some time what exactly it may have been.

We can speculate - as we do - but the truth, such as it is, seems often to go with those who knew it, who were involved in it, and who guard it for their own reasons.

If something extraordinary were done by Hemingway to merit such particularly Cuban reverence - beyond his artistry as a writer, and his compassion as a humanist (buying uniforms to set up a kid's baseball team) - Castro knows what it is. And so far, I ain't heard him say nothin' 'bout it.

As for the Finca, it was dillapidated when Marty bought it, as far as I've read. It's never easy to maintain something that starts out in poor shape (I ought to know. I have the same problem with my house, which was built in '27).

But with your wife's interest and possible family involvement, and Canada's less-restrictive policy toward Cuba, perhaps some discrete conversations with, say, a Cuban cultural attache might bring more light to the issue?

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

donmadge

Posted: 13 April 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote donmadge

Note to All,

I have found a picture of Hemingway and Castro earnestly clasping hands.  If someone can show me how to pst the picture I will do so. 

PS.  Pardon the pun!

Don Madge

donmadge

Posted: 30 April 2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote donmadge

A final comment.  After following all leads from this thread I have come to the conclusion that the question is almost naive in a sense.  Most certainly Castro admired Hemingway.  Was it because they were alike or was it something Hemingway once said?  Many will say that Hemingway spoke favourably about the revolution, but that was before Castro showed his crimson colours.

Well I am not so sure as I page back to Civil War Spain and the romanticism of the fellow travellers in the lost generation.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version