auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Sun Also Rises (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Sun Also Rises
Subject Topic: I have registered to share my adoration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Napalm d Greise

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 September 2005 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Napalm d Greise

I do not really have a question. I have registered on this forum to share my adoration for this novel. I have read it again and again and again in the last couple of month. It is brilliantly constructed.

E.g. the way Brett is introduced into the story. The narrator simply repeats "and with them was Brett" - and you realize immediatly: He has known her well for a long time, and he feels bitter seeing her like this. It is like a shock out of nowhere.

I would also like to draw your attention to a passage in Chapter 17, "the bull who killed Vicente Girones...", which contains all the relations that really matter in a nutshell.

That is already after the climax of the story, "walking across the square to the hotel everything looked new and changed".

I find these discoveries quite exciting at the moment. I used to consider TSAR to be just a good story, a holiday adventure of a crowd of people who know how to live. More and more I find that there are hints that point to a structure. And of course, I have started rereading, because the way the novel ends casts into doubt the impression that the reader gets in the first chapters.

Wellwellwell... better stop here.

Back to Top View Napalm d Greise's Profile Search for other posts by Napalm d Greise

Pablo

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Pablo

Your post inspired me to read "The sun also rises" I am almost done but I seem to have missed lots. I intend to read it again and possibly again as I have with all the other Hemingway novels I love. Thanks for your post and wish me luck in getting as much from this story as you have.

RobbieJor

Posted: 15 November 2005 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote RobbieJor

Hi Gang,

How would you like to read The Sun Also Rises in Ernie’s own handwriting?

Well you can.  There is a book from Omnigraphics called Archive of Literary Documents Vol. II Ernest Hemingway, 1990.  It is a two-volume facsimile reproduction of the manuscript first draft and related material. 

As you may recall, Ernie wrote The Sun Also Rises in pencil in seven French student composition notebooks called cahiers.  I love the story about how he would leave Hadley and Bumby and their little apartment in the early morning and go to a café, drink coffee and write what turned out to be this novel.  And how he knew well before hand, before he ever put a word down on paper, that he was going to write a famous novel.

I first came across the Omnigraphics book when visiting the Hemingway Room and the J.F. Kennedy Library a couple of years ago.  I tracked down Omnigraphics – thank gawd for the Internet – called them – they still had some inventory – and purchased it for $150.  I have to admit that it is a gem in my small collection.

It is remarkable how Ernie wrote in what I call “final form.”  You can see what appear to be erasures but they could also be bleed-thoroughs from the copying process.  Included in the facsimiles are the front and back pages of the cahiers which show Ernie’s personal notes especially his famous “word count” and budget.

So, if you want to enjoy a whole new perspective on The Sun Also Rises read this Omnigraphics book.  You will time travel back to 1925, you can sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and watch Ernie write.

Edited by RobbieJor on 18 November 2005 at 3:07pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version