auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Book Talk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : Book Talk
Subject Topic: The Great Gatsby Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 October 2005 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

The Great Gatsby is still taught because it's a good book.  It's so rich in character and I think it's themes can easily fit into today.  The time period doesn't a difference.  Alot of people want their love to forget their past.  How many men or women want their spouse to act as if they never had any lovers?  Who doesn't want to change their lives and get something back to the way it was? 

I've been thinking about Gatsby's murder in the pool.  He's accepted the way things are and goes to the pool.  It could be a baptism scene but it's a death scene.  Maybe he is reborn in death, but to what?  

As for The Crack-Up...I haven't read it.  I'll be leaving Fitz on the side for a while.

Papa Cosa 

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

RobbieJor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 October 2005 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote RobbieJor

Hello there Miss Kitty,

I did it the opposite way: I got into Fitzgerald from reading Hemingway.

I have read the book The Crack-up edited by Edmund Wilson.  It is a book of miscellaneous pieces: essays, excerpts from his notebooks, letters, etc.  The book is named after an essay by the same name, The Crack-up, written in 1936.  It appears to indicate a mid-life crisis that F. Scott was experiencing at the time.  I’d have to pull his bio to see exactly where F. Scott was at the time but we can make an educated guess: Zelda was doing her wacky things; F. Scott was trying to support the family by working as a writer in Hollywood; he’s been heavily boozing… The essay while written in 1936, is contemporary and is applicable to our lives today.

Almost two thirds of the book comprises a section called The Note-Books which is a compendium of sentences, sayings and paragraphs arranged alphabetically by F. Scott.  I enjoy this section because I often write down catchy phrases when I hear them though I don’t organize them alphabetically and by subject they way he did.

I would recommend buying The Crack-up.  It’s paperback and you can get it at where else? Amazon.com.  It’s a nice book to read snippets here and there.  I have used it as my “one page a nighter” book.  I always have a book beside my bed and I read one page a night (sometimes more; sometimes none) before I go to sleep.

If you do take a crack at The Crack-up, let me know what you think.

Good read’in

Robbie

Edited by RobbieJor on 29 November 2005 at 3:58pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version