auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Missing piece from his writing desk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pmsull

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 February 2006 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote pmsull

I have aquired a small Key West Florida souvenir that is believed to be from the boxes that are from Sloppy Joes's attic. This is what the person I bought it from has to say:

I have kept this piece on my desk for over 20 years now, and I have kept it so long because of where it came from. Not because it says Key West on it, although that is part of its' history. It is special because for a time I worked as a salvage diver and office helper in Key West for Mel Fischer and others. Back in the early 1980's, Mel gave this to me one day as a token of appreciation and he told me that it was carved in Key West by a Cuban artist, but he was not sure exactly when. It was a hand crafted item that was made before any mass produced tourist items were available beginning in the 1940's. That was a long time ago, before Key West was discovered! He did know that this artist used to sell his carved wares to tourists over by Southern Most Point and that this one had been given to him by the owner of Sloppy Joes's .

It wasn't until years later after a visit to the East Mortello Musuem in Key West that I became aware that boxes of items belonging to Ernest Hemingway that had been stored in Sloppy Joe's attic were recovered. This was confirmed by Sloppy Joe's son, who cleaned out the attic when he sold the place, and he too knew those boxes had been stuck up there since the 1960's. Some of Hemingway's old war items, manuscripts, and other desk related items are now on display at the Museum. For this reason, I believe this desk item could have belonged to Hemingway. I have looked for years to try and find any photos of his writing room in Key West that might show this item in the room, but there are only a few photos I can find and none that are proof.

I find it very curious that this piece exists at all,as in all my years in Key West,I have never seen anything like this produced for the tourist trade.

Does anyone know where I could find pictures of Hemmingway during his marriage to Pauline?

Thanks,

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Can you post a pic of it?

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

I have a few photos of his writing room but as you may know you cannot actually go into it, just peek in from the door. Anyway, I'll be there in May if you want me to look for something. And this...

Hemingway Home & Museum info@hemingwayhome.com

...is just what it looks liek in case you want to ask them. They are very helpful.

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

pmsull

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote pmsull

pmsull

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote pmsull

Sorry,

I had a really hard time trying to post the pic but this is the item that could be from Hemingway's desk.

Peter Krynicki- It would be great if you could keep an eye out while you where visiting Key West. I am going to email the museum and see what they say. Thank you for the offer of help!

Papa Cosa- What do you think, have you seen this before?

Thanks,

PMS

Edited by pmsull on 20 February 2006 at 11:55pm

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 March 2006 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

PMSULL,

So sorry for the late reply.  My comps been going crazy.  I havent seen this piece but I will pass it on to a friend in Key West.  She's quite the afficianado in all thing Key West.  I told her to give the pic a look as I was not able to send it to her(comp ready for the trash pile).  I'll let you know what I find out asap.

Papa Cosa

pmsull

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote pmsull

Hello,

Thanks, Papa. I emailed the museum a little while ago and still haven't heard anything.

PMS

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 09 March 2006 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I'm going to have the Papa group I'm part of take a look too.  They're from all around and may have some insight.  We're meeting next week but i'll email a few and fill them in.

Papa Cosa

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

One person in the group said it looked familar and though he may have a pic of it in an old Key West book.  He said he'll look and get back to me.  A friend of mine said it looks like one she's seen but that that one had a sea turtle and sponges on it.  That seems possible.  We're meeting again and everyone promised to search. 

Have you heard from the museum yet?

pmsull

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote pmsull

No answer to the email so I have decided to call. My dad is going to be in the Boston area and so he is going to check out the Hemingway display at the JFK museum up there. I also emailed another musuem in Arkansas that has some pictures of Hemingway and Pauline. So far no luck with the search on my end but what you have found sounds exciting. At least someone seems to think it looks familiar. Thank you, to all that have helped and looked. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version