auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: 1/3 Month By The Lake Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 January 2006 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Normally I just toss out travel invitations from Lehigh U, but this one not only caught my eye but I think I am going. It's 9 days at the Palace Hotel on Lake Como with side trips each day to various places in the area - Lake Maggiore, Stresse. If I can fiond a web page, I will post it.

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

papawannab2

Posted: 20 January 2006 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote papawannab2

Hey I've finally gotten on the board it's been telling me for months someone else has my name, so now instead of papawannab, I'm papawannab2.    

Anyway Peter I was in Stressa 2 years ago, it's beautiful, stayed at a little B&B called La Sorgente, if you go make sure to eat at the POSTE RESTAURANT.

Bob

Back to Top View papawannab2's Profile Search for other posts by papawannab2

Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Posted: 20 January 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

Thanks and how have you been?

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

papawannab2

Posted: 20 January 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote papawannab2

Been good Peter, thanks. How about you? I've been busy making preperations for a hunting safari to South Africa the end of August. The Hemingway Museum in Oak Park, is publishing my Hemingway Story & Coloring book, it should be available late this month, just something to get kids aquinted with Papa.

Have a good one,

Bob

Back to Top View papawannab2's Profile Search for other posts by papawannab2

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 20 January 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Hi Bob

The ' yankee trader ' that I am, after Christmas I got a hold of a neat book - HUNTING IN AFRICA EAST AND WEST by Charles Curtis [ 1925 ]. The safari guide is Hemingway's ' Pop '! He is called ' the Skipper ' in this book.

Googling and whatever has helped me prepare a list of safari books in which ' Pop '  - ' Philip Percival ' - is the guide. There are quite a few and I hope to get reading copies of them all.  The one I am reading now is a good read.

You must be excited going back to Africa.

The closest [ and this is close! ] I have gotten still to East Africa is to regularly correspond with one of the twins, the first to be born in Kenya. She is in her nineties and has lived there all her life.

I will have to get your autograph and inscription an one of the coloring books once it is published!

Best

Paul

papawannab
Leader
Leader

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote papawannab

Hi Paul

I"d appreciate it if you'd e-mail me a copy of the list. Yes, I'm excited about returning to Africa, I can't wait. As soon as I find out about the story/coloring books I'll let you know.

Bob

Back to Top View papawannab's Profile Search for other posts by papawannab

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote bookman

Hi Bob,
What will you be hunting in South Africa? I live in the middle of the woods in whitetail country and am an avid deer hunter, but always dreamed of hunting over there. They seem to be managing things nicely in South Africa, with an eye to the future (as opposed to places like Zimbabwe where Mugabe will probably destroy the game populations).
Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

papawannab
Leader
Leader

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote papawannab

Hey how you doing

I'll be going for Impala, Kudu and warthog, my dream is to get a cape buffalo, but that's a $8000+ license fee, a little out of budget, who knows maybe I'll find a sponsor.

Bob

Back to Top View papawannab's Profile Search for other posts by papawannab

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 23 January 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Hi Bob

I will e-mail you the list and post it under the UNDER KILIMANJARO topic for others when I have the time. I hope the list can be expanded.

Watch out for those buffalo! In the book I am reading now, Curtis writes of their buffalo hunt...some good tales...he said the buffalo will even circle around and deliberately ambush a hunter and, if they should get him, when they are through stamping on him etc. there is hardly anything left to recognize him/ her!!

Best

Paul

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 23 January 2006 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote bookman

Bob,
I hope you find that sponsor. Of the dangerous game I also thought that Cape Buffalo would be the one I would want to hunt. The rest of the big five never interested me much(to hunt), but I like to read about it.
You've probably read him, but Robert Ruark's non-fiction on safari hunting and big game is excellent, at least I enjoy it. (Horn of the Hunter, Use Enough Gun). Next to EH, my favorite.
Hopefully, we'll be reading your account next fall on this site.
Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version