auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: House on stilts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rodney

Online Status: Online
Posted: 09 December 2005 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rodney

I have a picture of a house on stilts about 5 miles from Mallary Square. Picture was taken in early 70's when I was stationed in Key West. I was told it was where Hemingway wrote. Does any one know about this ?  
Back to Top View Rodney's Profile Search for other posts by Rodney

Hem

Posted: 09 December 2005 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Hem

I've never heard this.  As far as I know he always wrote at his home in KW.  He had a special writing room there.  You can still see it today.

Back to Top View Hem's Profile Search for other posts by Hem

Lost Sailor

Posted: 09 December 2005 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Lost Sailor

I have been their. My fishing guide told me the same thing. And He has been down their a long time 30 plus years,

Back to Top View Lost Sailor's Profile Search for other posts by Lost Sailor

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 December 2005 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I've read alot about Ernest - in particular his time in Key West - and not once did I ever come across something like that.  He had his writing room behind his home there.  You can still see it today at the Home and Museum.  It seems like an awful lot of work to do to write.  His children and Pauline knew not to bother him there.

People in Key West like to spice things up by telling stories that involve Hemingway.  One of the keepers at the KW cemetery insists he boxed with hem even though he would have been a child if it were true.  Also, on any particular night you can find an old timer at Capt. Tony's or Sloppy Joes that says he fished, boxed or drank with Hemingway.  I'm not attacking...I just want to stress people in the Keys like to spice up their stories. 

Papa Cosa

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

lost sailor

Posted: 10 December 2005 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote lost sailor

I hear what your saying Papa, my fish get bigger the longer I stay at Capt Tonys. Hemingway might have visited the house, but I doubt he made a habit of writing their.  
Back to Top View lost sailor's Profile Search for other posts by lost sailor

bookman
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 10 December 2005 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote bookman

Maybe that's where he hid the six-toed cats. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one.)
Back to Top View bookman's Profile Search for other posts by bookman

lost sailor

Posted: 10 December 2005 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote lost sailor

You mean the Filthy domesticated VARMITS? lounging around on the grounds of Hems house.
Cats on the rooftops, cats on the tiles, cats with the syphilis, cats with the piles, cats with their assholes all wreathed in smiles, as they revel in the joys of fornication.
Dont ask me how I know this?

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 10 December 2005 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

And I'm sure he loved them.  He had a deep love for the animal.  If I remember correctly Hemingway is seen with a kitten in Wrestling with Life.  It's film so we see him cuddling it.  Picasso loved cats too.  He said all they think about is what's important in life and that's love.  Love of food, sleep, drink and love making. 

I'm interested in how you would know the cats had syphils and what their areas looked like.  Wait no I'm not. 

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

lost sailor

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote lost sailor

Dont get me wrong, I like cats, its just recently  I have had a problem with mine spraying in the house? I have five of them. Thus the attitude. The silly limerick is something I picked up from my dad many years ago.

Perdu

Posted: 28 February 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Perdu

This topic has intrigued me ever since I first read the posts here.  I could not remember any reference to Ernest having written in any “house on stilts” during his time in Key West . . . at least not in any real house.  Then it came to me that perhaps the structure in this topic wasn’t a regular house at all, perhaps it was something else that just happened to look like a “house on stilts” to someone who was unfamiliar with the area.  With that in mind, I’d like to offer a possibility for consideration and discussion . . . could this old photo be the “house on stilts”?

The photo shows the Northwest Passage Light(house).  It was located near shore, in about 4 feet of water on the west side of the north end of the Northwest Channel into Key West Harbor.  It was originally established in 1838 as a lightship station and then converted to a permanent structure in 1855.  Subsequently, it burned to the waterline and was replaced (in 1879) by the structure in the photograph.  It remained operational thereafter with a resident lighthouse keeper through at least 1911, at which time it was converted to automated status.  Afterwards, the lighthouse keeper’s residence was used intermittently to house harbor pilots and that is how it came to be known as The Pilot House, a name that continued in use through the rest of its life. 

The photo shows the structure as it appeared in 1892.  This photo was included with a report filed in the archives of the 7th Coast Guard District that year.  In H. Lea Lawrence’s book, A Hemingway Odyssey: Special Places in His Life (published in 1999), he includes an undated later photo of this same structure on Page 125.  Lea’s photo shows the Pilot House structure without the light, it having been removed sometime earlier when the lighthouse was deactivated by the Coast Guard.  I have been unable to find a source to tell me when that deactivation took place but I’d guess that it was sometime after World War II.  Lea’s photo is from his personal collection and is undated.  In 1971, the upper structure was destroyed by fire, leaving only a few metal pilings sticking out of the water.

Here is the caption that appears under the photo on Page 125 of Lea Lawrence’s book:  “Hemingway sometimes went to the Pilot House in Key West Channel to write.  The structure was torched by vandals in the 1970s.”

But is it true?  Lea gives no other textual references or corroboration of Ernest writing there, nor have I been able to find any confirmation in the dozen or so biographical books in my collection dealing with Hemingway’s time in Key West that I have consulted so far.  I still have a few more to check and will post any new information that I find.

When Ernest and Pauline arrived in Key West during early April 1928, they took an apartment in the Trev-Mor Hotel, located directly above the island’s Ford dealership.  They remained there for six or seven weeks until driving north to Pauline’s home in Piggott, Arkansas.  When they returned with their new son, Patrick, in November 1928, Lorine Thompson found them a house to rent at 1100 South Street and that is where they lived until leaving for France in April 1929.  They returned again in February 1930 and moved into a large house on Pearl Street that Lorine had found for them to rent.  In June, they left for Wyoming and returned to Key West in early 1931, renting the Fanny Curry house at the corner of United and Whitehead streets that time.  Ernest had decided to settle down in Key West and asked Lorine Thompson to find a house for them to buy.  Pauline decided on the house at 907 Whitehead street, which they purchased at the end of April.  The rest, as they say, is history.

Before Ernest brought the Pilar to Key West in 1934, he did not own a boat.  Although he made frequent fishing trips on small boats owned by some of his Key West friends (Bra Sanders, Sully Sullivan, etc) and also chartered larger boats for extended fishing trips with his “Mob” of writers and friends who came to Key West to visit, I haven’t found any reference in print that mentions him using the old lighthouse as a writing studio.  From what we know of Ernest’s work habits, he kept his writing time and his fishing time separated.  It seems highly unlikely (to me) that he would pack up his notebooks, leave his residence, rent a boat and go offshore to write in seclusion at such a place.

But could he have gone out there to write?  Sure, anything’s possible.  Or perhaps, as others have suggested, this is just another bit of Key West hype that Lea Lawrence heard and repeated in his book?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version