auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Sun Also Rises (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : The Sun Also Rises
Subject Topic: New topic, enter if you dare... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Peter Krynicki
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 December 2005 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Peter Krynicki

God's cycle : I am the alpha and the omega

Nature's cycle: The sun also rises

Man's cycle: vanity of vanities.

Pjk

Back to Top View Peter Krynicki's Profile Search for other posts by Peter Krynicki

Nidhi P

Posted: 07 December 2005 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Nidhi P

Concerning Chinedu's question, I believe that Mike is consumed with paying his tab to show that he has stability in his life.  As Chinedu has stated, Mike being the worst drunk among the group, having control over his financial affairs shows that he still has some control in his life, also giving himself an excuse to drink more.  Mike being able to pay his tabs, and pay back his friends is just a false sense of proof that he has control over his life, maybe making it easier for him to drink more. 

I think Jake was most physically affected by the war, which then in turn affected his mindset.  Jake was obviously left impotent after the war, which led to him being insecure and feeling like less of a man compared to the other men.  And this became worse when Brett rejected him, and though that was a direct effect of war, war played a big part in it.

Back to Top View Nidhi P's Profile Search for other posts by Nidhi P

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 07 December 2005 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

OK..." Christ in you the hope ... "

If Brett and Jake recieve and except any measure of ' Love Divine '...the Alpha and Omega...their lives are changed....

One is known by ones fruits.

How do Brett and Jake act towards one another especially during and after their time together in the upper room of the Hotel Montana?

Best

Paul

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 08 December 2005 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

In his story Jake makes the winding Rue Saint Jacques a "rigid north and south".

What do we know about  how Hemingway uses '  N-NW ' as an actual symbol and ' representative lure ' throughout! his work?

How do the writers use ' N-NW ' in the Bible and the story of Jacob?

" Where North you goin', Mac Shane? " asked Camilloe Bill as they drew into the outskirts of the camp. " Beyond the daylight? "

" Yes beyond, an' way beyond. " James B. Hendryx

There is a 4th and 5th dimension one could reach with ones writing Hemingway asserted.

" Only he who is able to see beyond the ' facts ' discerns love's real meaining; and it is is possible to illumine these very facts by the light of that which lies behind them. And he who is able to see beyond the ' facts ' begins to discern much of the ' newness ' in love and through love.>>> from " Love and Death Linked - The Beginning and the End - in TERTIUM ORGANUM by P. D. Ouspensky a[ an major influence among people Hemingway knew in Paris ]

Best

Paul

Mrs Weisgerber

Posted: 10 December 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs Weisgerber

I am not acquainted with the philosophy of Ouspensky. I will put him on my
short list. Thank you.
Back to Top View Mrs Weisgerber's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs Weisgerber

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 10 December 2005 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Ouspensky was influencal in his own right and even more so after he became a pupil of G.I.Gurdjieff.

Reynolds biography of Ernest Hemingway shows the interest in the Occult in the places and times of Hemingway's youth.

While there is no direct connection I have yet been able to find between Hemingway and Ouspensky/Gurdjieff there are many between the people Hemingway associated with and the two teachers.

What Hemingway meant and/or was referring to when he wrote a writer may reach the fourth and fifth dimensions with his writting has spawned some interesting answers.

The following study I credit with opening up to me the greatness of Hemingway's genius and his writing.

Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa as Evolutionary Narrative
Author: Bredahl, A. Carl; Author: Drake, Susan Lynn
Hardback; Book
168 pages
Published: December 1990
The Edwin Mellen Press Ltd
ISBN: 0889461651

A close reading of a text that has been critiqued as relatively meaningless and trivial or as a disappointment, but which Hemingway thought contained some of his best work. The study argues for the richness and importance of this largely unread and misunderstood work.

USA/Canada:
US$ 244.00
Australia/NZ:
A$ 340.00
Other Countries:
US$ 265.20

Best

Paul

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version