auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Sheffield Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
docnme
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 December 2005 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote docnme

Hello Donald,

Many, many thanks again... I will pass this information along to others on "The Hemingway Book Commitee", hopefully some will get interested and search some more, or have another piece to the puzzle to add. You never know where the search will lead or what it will turn up. None of my business, but could you be a professional researcher? or another Hemingway? That would be awfully kind of Marlowe, but time is precious, and good of you to think of asking.

Thanks again,

Best. Ramona

Steve Newman

Posted: 18 December 2005 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Steve Newman

Just to confirm and add one or two things that have been written about Hemingway's Yorkshire origins.

Hemingway's maternal grandfather, Ernest Hall, was born in Sheffield in 1840. After working as a teenager in the family cutlery business he emigrated to the US in 1860 where, during the Civil War, he fought bravely with the 1st Iowa Volunteer Cavalry stopping a Confederate rifle ball in his left thigh. After the war ( he refused a disability pension) he started his own wholesale cutlery business in Chicago. He became extremely wealthy - which enabled him to build a large house in Oak Park -and cultivated the appearance of an English country gentleman: sporting mutton-chop whiskers, carrying a silver topped cane, smoking cigars and walking his Yorkshire Terrier.

Hemingway's paternal grandfather, AnsonTyler Hemingway, was born in East Plymouth, Connecticut, in 1844 and was descended from 17th century Doncaster  immigrants. He too fought bravely in the Civil War with the 72nd Illinois Infantry and was, in 1864, promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and ordered by Lincoln to raise a Negro infantry regiment in Natchez. After the war he started and ran a very profitable real estate business in the Chicago area, also building a house in Oak Park just across the road from Ernest Hall's. The rest, as they say, is history.

An ex-mayor of Stratford-upon-Avon, and a woman who was born in Sheffield, is a great great niece of Ernest Hemingway's; and a very determined lady she is too.

Steve Newman

Stratford-upon-Avon, England.

Edited by Steve Newman on 18 December 2005 at 6:03am

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 19 December 2005 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

Hello Steve,

Thanks very much for the information: "An ex-mayor of Stratford-Avon and a grt. grt. neice born in Sheffield" ( new information.) The rest is pretty much correct also.

Thanks again,

Ramona

donmadge

Posted: 23 January 2006 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote donmadge

I play around with English Geneology, since I have ancestors from Northern England.  I have done a bit of research that would cause me to conclude that if Hemingway's ancestors came from Yorkshire it would most likely be from the Halifax area.  This is because it is close to Sheffield and gives you the most hits on the Mormon Family/Search database.

Other research on my late father in law revealed a postwar conversation with this person that I believe knew Hemingway well.  In that conversation the individual made the remark that Hemingway's relatives did a reverse "Goodbye Halifax".

"Goodbye Halifax" is a Canadian expression that denotes that you have had the biscuit.  It relates to the troop transports that left the port of Halifax during the second war.  My relatives referred to KIAs as people that said "Goodbye Halifax".

A reverse "Goodbye Halifax" would mean to leave Halifax Yorkshire and never return.

When you have a sick mind you note weird things.

Don Madge

Donald

Posted: 23 January 2006 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Donald

Ramona - Hi

I missed tihe 2nd page of postings and did not see your
response.

No - I am not a professional researcher or genealogist. I am a
KING researching my personal ancestry. I have a reasonable
chance of proving my connection to the KINGs of
Cambridgeshire in 1630 and a few years earlier in Yorkshire.

I saw the KING-HEMINGWAY connection and decided to do a
Google to see if it was the same line of HEMINGWAY as
Ernest's - and it appears to be the same line.

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 23 January 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote docnme

Hi Donald,

I'm glad for the information, and like I said, many thanks, and that just goes to show, you often find many interesting things while looking for others. I do not doubt that your relatives are of the same line as Hemingways.  There are many spellings of Hemingway and most of them are the same family. I remember one time Paul put something on the board , and wondered about an old radio program that used to be on called "BACK TO THE BIBLE', I was so surprised because it is still on the radio in our area at a radio station that Rev. Hemingway started in 1926, not just a coincidence.  It is nice to share information.

Also, there are quite a few families of (King) in the Millington, Michigan area, that is in Tuscola County. Some of the family have been there for 80 or more years(that I know of) and now days, just about everybody is doing some kind of family research. Many are searching for clues to health problems or some  important reasons, other than just to see who their ancestors were. True. we are all related in to some extent in the end anyway.

Nice hearing from you,

Best, Ramona

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 23 January 2006 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

Hi Ramona

Good memory of past posts!

Best

Paul

librarygal

Posted: 03 February 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote librarygal

A very important research site is the Hemingway One Name orginization reached at HEMINGWAY-UK-L@rootsweb.com or email at Hemingway@one-name.org.  This site is dedicated to the research of all the Hemingway names (numerous varient spellings).  They also offer a DNA study which will pinpoint which line of Hemingway is yours.

My brother did the DNA test and we now know for a certainty that we descend from the RALPH HEMENWAY who arrived in Roxbury, MA in 1633.  This same line is the direct line from which Ernest Hemingway descends.

There is no concrete evidence of RALPH leaving England, but there is concrete evidence that he arrived in Massachusetts and was listed at first as a servant.  Within about one year, however, he was a freeman and went on to become very prosperous in the community.

Anyone researching in that vein with more information would be most welcome to contact me.

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 04 February 2006 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

Hello librarygal:

Yes that exact information has been traced and comfirmed on this line of the family, right on down... I have the site that you give bookmarked on my computer... Thank you,

Best, Ramona

librarygal

Posted: 05 February 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote librarygal

hi ramona,

do you know of anyone researching the HEMINGWAY line who would have gone "off the beaten track" for the descendants who didn't make it into the published genealogies?

i am descended from one such branches and am struggling to link us all together.  after visiting the key west, florida enclave of Hemingway, it makes me even more determined to finish my line on paper.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version