auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Sheffield Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marlowe

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 November 2005 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Marlowe

I was told iover dinner on Friday that Hemingway's family originated in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.  As a Hemingway reader, and Sheffield homeboy (who still, somewhat disappointingly lives within twenty miles of the place), I've never heard itbefore and I'm dismissing it as nonsense.

However, if you know better...

Back to Top View Marlowe's Profile Search for other posts by Marlowe

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 20 November 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

Dear Marlowe,

Of course, most of us know for a fact only what we were there to witness so: we depend on research, our own, and other credible people's research, and sources.  We read, check and cross check many times, then make our decisions based on the best information that we have gathered thus far. So sometimes things change through the discovery process.

Some disagree, but of all of the books, records, genealogy and oral history passed down, I believe the Hemingways came from South Yorkshire. To my knowledge, even the skeptics have not proved otherwise. So for them to doubt is their privilege. I suggest that you read "The Hemingways Past and Present" by Patricia Hemingway that echos many other books. I could name others, but that pretty well covers it, maps and all of the places that she checked herself.  Then decide for yourself.

If you find something new and different, I would be interested in seeing it posted.

Best, docnme

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

Dear Marlowe,

I'm waiting? Have you had anymore news over dinner conversations? Heard anything new?  We all want to know.

Best, docnme

Mike Galvin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mike Galvin

Grace Hall Hemingway's father, Ernest Hall, was born in Sheffield England in 1840.
Hemingway A Life Without Consequences by James R. Mellow, copyright 1992, Houghton Mifflin Publishers, isbn 0-395-37777-3, page 6
But Ramona you would probably know better than anyone.

Mike

Edited by Mike Galvin on 28 November 2005 at 6:32pm
Back to Top View Mike Galvin's Profile Search for other posts by Mike Galvin

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

HI Mike,

No, I did not mean that question to be smart or sarcastic.  I have heard quite a few people say that the Hemingways did not come from England though.  But noone can prove it.  All of our research says: that the Hemingways migrated to England many years ago from Scandinavian countries and the name is an old Norse-Danish name corectly spelled HEMINGWAY.  Then Ralph Hemingway our ancestor is the first one to come to America from England,  probably as an indentured servant .  ( I believe that) I have not read the book by Mellow,  so If that is just another opinion---, but if someone has some concrete or credible records that says otherwise, I sure would be interested.

Yes, there are lots of records  available on Grace Hall-Hemingway's family tree.

Just here to learn also,

Best, Ramona

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote hijo

Now we're getting into yet another area of my own personal interest.

In doing some research on my own family, I've discovered similar confusion and conundrums. For instance, research from various parts of my family indicate our known origins date to a Michael Miller in Newville, Pa. (Cumberland County). Where did he come from, or his parents? We don't know. We're trying to find out. I and some cousins, near and far.

Here's the thing: Pennsylvania, especially that area, was known to be heavy with German immigrants. But some of the German immigrants first went to England, where the Queen (1710?) decided to let poor persecuted (Catholic? Protestant?) Germans settle free from harm. So many came to England, the suggestion quickly became "why don't you all come to NEW England?"

So, on the various forms they took to get into the country, especially considering it was techincally still (under William Penn) an English colony, many Germans were listed as originating in England. Swiss also. Then again, the same area also had places called "Irishtown," for example, and a host of Irish/Scot Millers can be found dotting several family histories.

Geneology is fascinating and fun, as well as frustrating. There are records, but especially as a journalist all these years I continue to be amazed at general reliance on "documents," as if for various reasons records can never be ... modified.

But I understand there is an international "World Family Tree" project that attempts to link families, filling in gaps or incorrect information in some histories where possible.

So at least Hemingways have a possible lead with England, though depending on how far back anyone looks, again, life gets more complicated. For instance, the Danes basically ran much or at least parts of England until The Battle of Hastings, which changed everything, putting the Normans (who also were of norse decent) in charge. Vikings raided everywhere in striking distance of their boats, including New Foundland. "The Maid of Norway" added her genes to the Royal pool as the New Hebrides were conquered (stolen?) from the Norwegians.

As for royalty, Windsor was the house of Saxe-Coburg-Goetha until World War I...

And somewhere amidst it all, as my father would often joke, lived a tiny village on the outskirts of Gaul... (you have to be an Asterix fan to appreciate the joke, unfortunately).

I guess I'm once again long-windedly just saying, good luck trying to find, let alone prove, much beyond a certain time frame in family histories. In the end, as Leakey has shown, ultimately, we're all related anyway.

Allbest,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

HI Hijo,

That says it all...That is why I am always interested in the replys of others, the people of today are important to me, and I value all sincere opinions.

Best,Ramona

Donald King

Online Status: Online
Posted: 14 December 2005 at 1:50am | IP Logged Quote Donald King

Maybe everybody already knows the following - I have yet to
verify it. But I understand:

Halifax or Skycote, Yorkshire

John Kynge     b. ca 1518
Johanna     Hemyngway
m. 1543 May     

Even if this is true, it does not necessarily indicate that it is the
same line as Ernest, but would appear, so far, to be an
ancestral line of Ralph.
Back to Top View Donald King's Profile Search for other posts by Donald King

docnme
Leader
Leader

Posted: 14 December 2005 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote docnme

HI, thanks for the information. Idid not know that. I will look into our records again to double check.  Like you said:"Even if this is true"  The part about Ralph being the ancestor of Ernest is not to hard to prove. The records are all there. Ralph can easily be traced back to Roxbury, Mass. in 1630, and Ernest line easily traced back to Ralph. The confusion comes tracing Ralph before he was in the U.S.A.  I appreciate any information or new source that I can find. 

(Hijo is right, I believe,) about getting things right just so far back, then the trail is awfully cold, but many people are satisfied and just settle for what they have as the gospel.  I like to keep looking. Finding things you never expected is a bonus every now and then.  I guess I just like the journey also.

Thanks again,

Best, Ramona

Donald King

Online Status: Online
Posted: 15 December 2005 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote Donald King

Marlowe,
I do not know you, but if you live in England would it be
possible for you to visit the Records Office, or where ever such
information might be preserved, in Yorkshire to see what
information is available?
Also, per “The History of Brighouse, Rastrick & Hipperholme”,
the following Hemingway probates are in Halifax:

Hemmingway, Ellen     1569
Hemmingway, John     1526
Hemmingway, John     1528
Hemmingway, John     1589
Hemmingway, John     1593
Hemmingway, Rob 1541

I would be very interested in what you might find.

Does anybody live near a large library which might have "The
History of B, R & H"?

Thanks.
Back to Top View Donald King's Profile Search for other posts by Donald King

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version