auctions |  biography | message boards | faq | links | bibliography | multimedia | exclusives | gifts | home |
Hemingway Travel Stickers

got Papa? shirts, mugs and more!
Custom Euro Oval Stickers
Oval Stickers and Euro Stickers

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Questions (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Ernest Hemingway Message Boards : General Questions
Subject Topic: Hotchner adds to Hem. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 November 2005 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I was thinking about Hotchner's award winning screenplay for After the Storm.  It just amazes me he would add to Hemingway's work.  I've never been a fan of such things.  When Parker finished Chandler's Poodle Springs I was mystified.  How can one imitate a giant?  After the Storm was such a small work and based right there in the moment.  Hotchner added so much and basically added a movie around what would have been a five minute sequence if taken directly from Hemingway's story.  I would think it would have been so daunting to undertake such a task.  In the end it barely sparked a quarter of the publicity Parker's end to Poodle Springs did.  Most people haven't seen it or even heard of it. 

Did anybody else see the movie?  I have to admit that I like it but I don't consider it true Papa.  It's just a fun summer treasure hutning movie. 

On one level I can't believe it was done but on another I'm glad that it was Hotchner.

Papa Cosa

Back to Top View Papa Cosa's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Cosa

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 11 November 2005 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

I saw the movie some time ago and enjoyed it.

It brought to my mind some of my early adventures on the Islands.

Has anyone seen one of favorite movies - IN GOD'S HANDS? [ A surfing flick ]

Best

Paul

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 11 November 2005 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

I haven't seen it but I have a friend who swears by it.  She's a surfer.  As for me I can barely tread water let alone surf.  Some good surfing docs are RIDING GIANTS and STEP INTO LIQUID.  STEP... was made by the son of the maker of ENDLESS SUMMER.

Papa Cosa

Papa Doble
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 11 November 2005 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Doble

Isn't the original (1960s, I believe) Endless Summer the quintessential surfing movie?
Back to Top View Papa Doble's Profile Search for other posts by Papa Doble

hijo
Leader
Leader

Posted: 11 November 2005 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote hijo

Anyone else remember "Big Wednesday"? That movie affected me - made me want to be a surfer, and grow up in California, which I never did - when I was younger.

Favorite line was delivered by Nick Nolte: "I never, ever, pissed in your swimming pool."

Papa C: if you're on KW, or anywhere near the ocean, and really have trouble treading water - learn to swim. It can only save your life.

Best,
hijo
Back to Top View hijo's Profile Search for other posts by hijo

Pjk

Online Status: Online
Posted: 12 November 2005 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Pjk

I still watch that Bruce Brown film - The Endless Summer. It came out when I was in high school and I had an Endless Summer T-shirt. I wish I could find it.

Pjk

Back to Top View Pjk's Profile Search for other posts by Pjk

Papa Doble
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Papa Doble

hijo wrote:
Anyone else remember "Big Wednesday"? That movie affected me - made me want to be a surfer, and grow up in California, which I never did - when I was younger.

Favorite line was delivered by Nick Nolte: "I never, ever, pissed in your swimming pool."

Best,
hijo

Hijo, never saw the movie but the soundtrack was released a year or two ago.  Jan-Michel Vincent, Gary Busey and William Katt, right?

Papa Cosa
Leader
Leader

Posted: 13 November 2005 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Papa Cosa

Pjk,

You should see STEP INTO LIQUID.  It's strange to see Bruce Brown playing with an ENDLESS SUMMER action figure of himself. 

Hijo (or is it hojo now?)

I like Big Wednesday too.  The whole surf life/culture appeals to me greatly.  I just saw it a few months back while in a huge surfing mood.  I've been learning to tread water for a long time.  I think the difficulty I have with it is because I only have one lung.  That could account for somethin.  Even if it doesn't I'll still blame it all on that.  It's funny.  I want to live on an island and I love the whole surf thing but I can't swim to save my life.  I love the ater though and sometimes when I go out I wear a life vest.  Silly but I adapted to have fun.

Papa Cosa

Papa Doble
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 13 November 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Doble

Papa Cosa wrote:

It's funny.  I want to live on an island and I love the whole surf thing but I can't swim to save my life.  I love the ater though and sometimes when I go out I wear a life vest.  Silly but I adapted to have fun.

Papa Cosa

"It's only an island when you look at it from the water."

~Papa Cosa Brody, 1975~

Paul Hammersten
Leader
Leader

Posted: 15 November 2005 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Paul Hammersten

There was once the old time foot Safari which gave way to the ' car ' Safari.

The same with surfing. There was always the search for the elusive giant wave...the one bigger than any that had already been surfed...a search that would take one all over the world.

It was discovered that with jet skis a surfing could put oneself in a position to surf The Giants.

Mickey [ from Montana naturally! ] thought jet skis with the accompaning polution - noise and gas fumes etc. -was not true surfing.

IN GOD's HANDS is Mickey's story. How he surfed a Giant, how with his bare hands he met the Giant, and what happened to him.

As with Hemingway, who would bring his characters to their ' moment of truth ', IN GOD'S HANDS is a pure vision of Grace Under Pressure.

I have seen all the awesome surfing flicks mentioned by all of you and with out reservation can assert some of the surfing footage in this movie is the most spectacular ever filmed.

http://www.obsurfshop.com/Surfshop/Videos/155.html

Best

Paul

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version